Universal Credit issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Credit issue

I didn't receive my tenants rent in April so contacted him by email and asked why. He told me he was sacked last December and thought he had messaged me but since found the message in his draft folder!! He also mentioned he was waiting for DWP to sort out his benefit claim and was only receiving a temporary payment....He's told me so many lies over the years I can't believe a word he says.....I didn't receive his rent for May so tried to claim for his housing benefit online from his U.Credit but because I haven't a record of his date of birth I couldn't proceed. I phoned U.C. and explained but they said there was nothing they could do......I asked my tenant to forward his date of birth and explained my situation and that if he didn't co-operate then I'd have little choice other than issue a Section 21 notice... Two days ago I visited his flat but he didn't reply when I knocked on his entrance door so I taped a S21 to it and date stamped some photos as well as posting a copy of the notice. I have proof of posting as well as confirmation from the Post Office it was delivered........I know I'm going to be in a long haul, perhaps even a year or so to get him out and then a refurb of the flat but does anyone know how to claim the housing benefit element from U.Credit without knowing the claiments D.O.B. ?.....thanks in anticipation.

Did you now do a reference check on the T? Did you not get a copy of the T's passport to verify the right to rent obligation for yourself as a LL?

UC will not discuss with anyone apart from the claimant about their payments, or you have permission by the T to discuss it with them present when you make the call. I doubt the T will be helpful in this manner, as if they are getting the money it's unlikely you will see it.

I trust this situation has opened your eyes, and if you have other properties which are let out, to obtain all the information, as a min I always want a Passport copy and their NI number.

Comment

As above, his d.o.b should be on whatever Right to Rent evidence you copied.

Comment

Have you tried good old social media for his DOB ?? I can bet he is '' out there ' somewhere and his DOB is available, you just need to know how you go about getting it....... find some smart young thing who will know, but even with the date will UC talk to you and divert the money to you without his input ???

Comment

I think he only needs the DOB so that he can fill in the online application of UC47 to make the payments to him rather than the T. That's on the provision that the T is claiming UC in the first place.

I applied may years ago, never got anything from them not even a response after submitting, had to go down the old route of eviction.

Comment

Thank you all for the responce....The tenant has been with me for many years and long before the Right to Rent came in. My letting agent at the time suggested I consider him as a tenant because he had recently been divorced with the referencing revealed he had one CCJ but his Dad would be guarantor so I took him on. I sacked the letting agent after they insisting new rental agreements should be renewed every year when I was happy to go periodic and avoid fees for all....his Dad has since passed away and with the tenants inheritance he purchased a brand new motorhome which is still worth well over £40K today.....I've tried Social media, Ancestry etc but all I can find is he was born in 1960 between January and March.....looks like another learning curve the hard way.

Comment

buffalo747

You as a LL cannot claim UC housing cost on tenants behalf, the T has to claim it.

If your T is already receiving UC housing payments and not paying it to you, read on https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ears-deduction
              Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

As mentioned previously, Universal Credit are not obliged to discuss my tenants claim and without his D.O.B. I cannot make a claim for his housing benefit to be deducted and passed on to me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X