Referencing checks for HB applicant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referencing checks for HB applicant

Hi, am in the process of choosing a tenant for one of my properties. I have an applicant who is currently living at home with family but had a baby and looking to move out. They are on a low income and say they qualify for HB. I am using openrent for marketing and will use their referencing service (which I believe is Rentguard) for the referencing checks. How will this work with a HB applicant? I am assuming the checks would come back showing the property as unaffordable for the applicant, because they won't take the HB application into account?
    I know that a guarantor would be a way around this but not everyone is fortunate enough to have one. I don't want to rule out an applicant based on their currently needing HB but is there any point paying for a referencing check which I know will 'fail' in that respect?

Who gets housing benefit now?
    Isn't it all wrapped up in universal credit?

Anyway, you're right, they'll fail without any evidence of the level of benefits that they might qualify for.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The whole concept of a "referencing check" that passes or fails is just stupid.

It provides information - which you then use intelligently. And you should have obtained some detailed information in advance of bothering to do a paid-for check.

At least for my properties and parts of the country it would "fail" before doing the check unless there were massive other extenuating circumstances likely to gain my interest.
      a) Why did they have a baby if they could not afford it (my kids don't and didn't)
      b) Why are they moving out of home if they can't afford anywhere else. Is their family less interested in them than the state? They would be the obvious guarantors (if you even think that helps).

As always -- if you could end a contract when the other party fails to fulfil their obligations I and most people would accept this tenant all other things being OK. But since they have licence to not-adhere to a contract they have signed, why would you??

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It's the term they used, possibly for ease, rather than saying the housing element of UC? I don't know but their use of terminology isn't my biggest concern.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          The whole concept of a "referencing check" that passes or fails is just stupid.

It provides information - which you then use intelligently. And you should have obtained some detailed information in advance of bothering to do a paid-for check.
          ok so I might not be the most experienced. I may be naive, or maybe even stupid, but I'm certainly happy to learn and welcome other people's advice. Please could you let me know what sort of detailed information you would obtain before the paid-for check?

Comment

Originally posted by LucyChilds View Post
            It's the term they used, possibly for ease, rather than saying the housing element of UC? I don't know but their use of terminology isn't my biggest concern.
            It's important though.

The rules for UC-HE are different to the rules for Housing Benefit.

Unless you know which one it is then you don't know how to start dealing with any problems, or even if you should be dealing with the DWP or the council.

You can waste a lot of time trying to deal with the council when it should be the DWP, you'll waste even more time the other way round.

People who claimed HB before UC came in and haven't migrated to UC yet. (I'm in that situation).
            People over State Pension Age. (UC is a 'working age' benefit).
            People in council emergency accommodation.
            People in accomodation that includes nursing care/support.
            A few other very special cases in 'Specified' accommodation.

The last 3 won't affect a private landlord, the first 2 might.

Comment

You're right, forgot OAPs.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X