Universal Credit stop rent payments as tell me tenant has moved out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Credit stop rent payments as tell me tenant has moved out

I wonder if anyone can help with this situation as it is driving me mad! I received an email from Universal Credit on 20th October advising me this would be the last rent payment made from them for my tenant as I am no longer her landlord. I have visited the property on numerous occasions since this date, the first obviously assuming I could take re-possession if she had left and she is clearly still living in the house and paying all the utilities. She just tells me it is an error at their end and will get sorted but I do not believe any of this and this is now over a month since and I cannot get anywhere with UC who will not even speak to me as they deem me to no longer be her landlord, meanwhile she is living there rent free despite having about £5500 arrears already.

Sorry, forgot to mention I was getting a small payment from UC each month towards her arrears which obviously comes out of her own money and as this is also now stopped I can only think that this is the reason that she appears to have given them some sort of change of address or what other way could she gain by doing any of this?

Comment

It's definitely your tenant in residence, is it?

I'm wondering if she's rented elsewhere, and subletted your place.

Comment

I can well believe a UC error, they are notorious for it.

A few years ago the DWP stopped my ESA by mistake, (I found out from a DWP worker that it happens often, two adjacent buttons are confusing on a certain screen and often the wrong one gets clicked).
        The DWP told the council ESA had stopped and the council then stopped my Housing Benefit as well.
        Even though the DWP quickly admitted their error and I never missed a payment of ESA it took another 3 months to get the Housing Benefit sorted out with the council.

There again she may have cancelled the APA.

I'd submit another UC147 to the DWP and see what comes of that.

Comment

No JKO it is definitely her, tells me on the phone she has not moved out and have physically talked to her in there twice, heating on full and everything still in place.

Comment

Will try another UC147 nukecad as cannot think of anything else to do!

Comment

Thanks to nukecad and JKO for trying to help!

Comment

Hi Vicky

Your post was brought to my attention by a client who has been experiencing similar problems.

In her case, we’ve now established her tenant had downloaded a blank AST, created a new tenancy, with a fictitious Letting Agent and DWP simply redirected payments to the new agent’s bank, when, in fact, it was some relatives account. In other words, fraudulent misrepresentation.

I’ve had a series of similar cases where scams were being perpetrated. One involved the tenant stating she wished to cancel her claim and then the following day made a reclaim. Cancelling her claim, caused the APA to “drop off” allowing redirection of the housing costs element back to her.

Ive already highlighted my concerns to DWP suggesting this might be a big problem which needs to be addressed urgently.

We have no way of knowing, for certain, what caused your problem. It might be as Nukecad has indicated or something completely different. My advice would be to write to your local Service Leader (Google - JCP Service Leader) select the one nearest you and provide him/her with a summary of your concerns, and flag up the possibility, of DWP staff being misled by your tenant in order for her to access & misuse the HCE. This should prompt some action and a response.

Bill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• direct payment request
                  by lavy
                  Hi I have a tenant on housing benefit who paid half of there rent that was due in October and , then no payment in November . When is the earliest I can apply for direct payments?. Do I have to wait and see if they pay when December payment is due which will then be two and half months rent in arrears...
                  01-12-2020, 16:12 PM
                • Reply to direct payment request
                  by OS7
                  Have you sent your evidence in. Try emailing - tpp.enquiries@dwp.gov.uk

write on the very beginning of the email that you have already completed the online form and you sending evidence in and explain your case to them.
                  12-01-2021, 10:11 AM
                  by lavy
                  Hi Still no notification at all from universal credits after the application sent in for direct payments not even to say it has been received . Is this the usual from them or should they have sent out a notification . Just wanted anyone elses experience of dealing with a direct payment claim Thank...
                  12-01-2021, 10:00 AM
                  by nukecad
                  That leaflet is for Housing Benefit - paid by the council.

You tenant's benefit is UC Housing Element - paid by the DWP.

As said above although they are both benefits to help towards rent they are very different, not least who pays them and so who you have to deal with....
                  11-01-2021, 03:45 AM
                  by OS7
                  "If you can't take responsibility for the payment of rent, then the council can make payments direct to your landlord if there is a good reason to do so. If you're worried about taking this responsibility then you should talk to us about your concerns. Your benefit is for you to pay your rent...
                  10-01-2021, 18:44 PM
                  by OS7
                  Yes, I agree, however I rather it stops and tenants realise their responsibility. I am already out of pocket, and tenants are not paying anyway!...
                  10-01-2021, 10:25 AM
                  by nukecad
                  It's actually not Housing Benefit (paid by the council) - It's Universal Credit Housing Element (paid by the DWP).
                  Although they are both benefits towards rent they are very different things.

UC-HE is a benefit entitlement set out in law, and capped at certain rates for a private...
                  10-01-2021, 00:39 AM
                  by OS7
                  I agree that benefits will not stop, due to the complaint, and any back arrears will be paid via housing benefits to tenants at some point. my tenant is getting just over £1000 for 4 bed detached house and 2 dependent children. I am not so sure how it is worked out. however it is made up housing benefit...
                  09-01-2021, 18:35 PM
                  by nukecad
                  That is possible if they were entitled to the 4 bed LHA rate in some London boroughs.
                  Benefit towards housing costs in rivate rentals are capped at the LHA rate for a particular area.

That is totally incorrect, it the claimant has a liability to pay rent then the claimant is...
                  09-01-2021, 16:38 PM
                  by OS7
                  Yes jpkeates, they may not cover the existing rent arrears (and this needs to be sorted separately), but at the very least they know that rent arrears are there because rent wasn't paid, even when the tenants were claiming it in benefits. I read the leaflet that the housing benefit team sent - and it...
                  09-01-2021, 12:49 PM
                Working...
                X