Claiming Housing Benefit on a holiday let?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Housing Benefit on a holiday let?

Im buying a non standard contruction property on a holdiay let mortgage possibly, poss a BTL or even a 2nd home mortgage. If i go for the holiday let can i rent out the property or a room or 2 seperate rooms to housing benefit tenants?

If you buy on a holiday let mortgage you would be breaking the terms by renting out for longer than a holiday - which is what I think you want to do.

If you buy on a buy-to-let mortgage you also need to check the terms as often renting to HB tenants is prohibited.

If you buy on a 2nd house mortgage ditto.

Basically, if you buy with a mortgage you need to be upfront about what you intend to do or you may be in breach of the terms.

Ditto insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Collette View Post
      If i go for the holiday let can i rent out the property or a room or 2 seperate rooms to housing benefit tenants?
      By letting to someone who is not on holiday you would be in breach of your 'holiday let' mortgage terms.

The tenants couldn't (normally) claim UC Housing Element in holiday accommodation, they usually need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim. And a tenancy agreement is not a holiday let.

It is possible but it's a PITA to get the DWP/UC to agree to it, and would still be in breach of your mortgage terms anyway.

(PS. Nobody can make a new claim for Housing Benefit anymore, except in certain special circumstances such as council provided 'emergency accommodation').

I'm guessing that you are thinking about when a council puts someone in a B&B as 'emergency accommodation' and pay them HB - but that is done under special rules, you are not a council, and the B&Bs used for that don't/can't have mortgages which wouldn't allow it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X