Universal Credit Fraud

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Universal Credit Fraud

    Hi guys - my first post on here and was hoping to get some guidance

    I was getting paid my Trent directly from universal credit after my tenant fell behind on payments for more than two months.

    tenant has now decided to inform universal credit department that she has vacated the property and registered a new dress with universal credit.

    this meant the payments have stopped and I am no longer getting paid rent.

    i have reported this to universal credit team who said they will investigate further.

    is there anything else I could do?

    Your contract is with tenant, not with the UC people (the DWP by the way). You sue tenant (and guarantor if you took one) for any outstanding rent. And serve s8 for all valid arrears grounds TODAY. s8g10 may be validly served if only 1p is underpaid for only 1 day. Funny how many "experts" seem unaware of this. And no reference or only give a full, honest one.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Has the tenant left? Is the property vacant?


        Does the other address exist? Who lives there - do you know? if rent was paid to you the council usually don't suddenly change payment method unless the tenancy is formally ended - just going by personal experience.
        Seems like you may have to wait for council staff to investigate but you could look into it yourself quietly

        Freedom at the point of zero............


          Originally posted by Habib85
          council tax records still show the tenant registered at my property and DWP will not give me any information in regards to the new registered address.
          I'm registered for CT at home & also a now empty rental property. Being registered proves nothing. Are you sure he is physically there?? e.g. have you gone round after giving notice of inspection, knocked on door, seeing if anyone in?

          Of course DWP won't give you the new address, they have no authority to do so!

          Wait a few months, then you'll find him - social media, neighbours, postman, from people you took note of when tenancy set up - eg I always ask for a family member to contact in emergency & also work contact etc etc etc

          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            You've reported it to DWP, there's nothing more on that issue for you to do / that you can do. Everything else is matter of landlord-tenant. Is rent being paid, notice of seeking possession etc.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

            I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.


              This is in no way benefit fraud.
              Funny how many landlords don't understand that, I'd have though that if you had tenants claiming benefits you would learn how those benefits work.

              The DWP will not be interested.

              If she has told then she has moved then they won't be helping towards her rent at a property she doesn't live in.
              (If shes claiming rent for a property where she doesn't live that would be a different matter, but nothing to do with you).

              The benefits that a tenant is entitled to is their money, not yours or anybody elses.

              How the claimant spends that benefit money is up to them, just as how someone spends their wages is up to them.
              If one of those chooses not to spend it on their rent then that's their choice, and your problem.

              You may have had an 'Alternative Payment Arrangement' (Managed Payment to Landlord) set up, but that is as the name says just an alternative.
              It's simply an agreement that the DWP will pay some of a claimants benefit to the landlord for a while to help the claimant budget, it is not the landlords entitlement from the DWP and never can be in law.
              Think of it as a kind of standing order set up with the DWP rather than with a bank. - If a tenant (or bank) cancelled a standing order you wouldn't try to say it was bank fraud would you?

              Once the claimant has reported to the DWP that she has had a change of circumstances and no longer lived there and that you are no longer her landlord then the DWP have stopped the MPTL - as they should do.

              If your tennant has 'done a runner' and moved out owing you money than that's your problem, nothing to do with the DWP or the tenants benefits.
              If you want to claim against her benefit income when she's no longer living in your property then you'll have to get a court order to do that.


              Latest Activity