Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Credit EU citizen or other benefit

Hi All,

I have a tenant and her 2 daughters (one is 17 and the other is 10) since Nov 2019.

They are Brazilian with Italian nationality. The lady is a self-employed cleaner. Her youngest daughter goes to school but the older one could not get into a school yet.

She tells me she has been in the UK for 1 year. Her daughters arrived 6 months ago.

She has never been late with the rent and is a good tenant.

Sadly with coronavirus she tells me most of her clients have cancelled.

Is there any benefit that she could claim to help her a little or even a lot? (The problem is not rent as such as I can just take that whenever - Im more concerned if they will have money for food etc.)

I was looking at UC but I believe you have to be I the country for 5 plus years.

Thanks

As with most things benefit related it is complicated, and made even more so by Brexit, and now by Coronavirus.

Normally to claim benefits you have to show a 'Right to Reside'.

Following Brexit EEA nationals either have to have Settled Status' (that's where the 5 years comes in and overrules the Right to Reside), or Pre-Settled Status with a Right to Reside.

I've not seen anything particular about Right to Reside and Coronavirus, there again I haven't particularly been looking.

So as she has been here less than 5 years then she will have to show a Right to Reside.

This is one of the best guides around for potential claimants, it has sections on Right to Reside, Settled and Pre-Settled Status, and Self Employment:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...#guide-content

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply nukecad. I was told she has an appointment at the jobcentre so hopefully something can be worked out.

I also have one security night club guy who is British, one Dutch guy working in black burgers and another Italian national working in a hotel. All have had to stop working and have been trying to get UC since Friday. The phone number keeps cutting them off. They all messed up the online verification thing so need an appointment.

What the situation with that?

Comment

Originally posted by rmim View Post
        All have had to stop working and have been trying to get UC since Friday. The phone number keeps cutting them off. They all messed up the online verification thing so need an appointment.

What the situation with that?
        The jobcentres are not doing face to face appointments since last Thursday, unless absolutely necessary.

I was helping a guy with a new claim last week, on Friday he made the online claim for UC and was told on his journal that they would make a telephone appointment for the ID and initial meetings.
        ie. They would set a time when they would ring him, and notify him when it was on his journal.
        How they are going to reliably verify ID over the phone is anybodys guess?
        (No doubt it will be a fraudesters paradise, UC already was before but they were tryin to kep that quiet).

Many working people will be finding out the realities of the DWP, the benefit system in general, and UC in particular.
        It's going to came as a shock for those encountering it for the first time, it always does.
        It's not all as rosey as some would like to have you believe.

Even before coronavirus depending on which benefit you were ringing about then it was not unusual to be in a telephone queue for 40+ minutes before getting to speak to someone, or to suddenly get cut off for seemingly no reason, with C-19 and a rash of new UC claims it's going to be horrendous.
        Once you do get through you'll find that the phone jockeys are poorly trained and anything a little bit unusual and they won't know the answer, but they are not supposed to say that they don't know and often they will just make something up.
        Where I give advice we get many people who have been told something completely wrong by a DWP phone jockey.

I'm just glad I'm not having to make a new claim at this time, (been on ESA for 9 years now), although some things are being made simpler like the telephone appointments it's stil going to be a lot more difficult than people think.

Comment

Just seen a tweet from sky news -

"Downing Street Monday briefing:

What about migrants whose visas mean they cannot rely on public funds and potentially feel ill - but feel obligated to go to work?

No10 say the question hasn’t come up before and they will come back on this.

(This *WILL* be a big issue)"
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post

I'm just glad I'm not having to make a new claim at this time, (been on ESA for 9 years now), although some things are being made simpler like the telephone appointments it's stil going to be a lot more difficult than people think.
            Thanks for the reply nukecad

The sad thing is these guy were probably always entitled to UC shame they did not apply years ago, it's a good safety net to be in place before hand.

The guy in black burgers has a contract for 30hours per week, his rent is 550 including bills - he told me he used the calculator and it said he was entitled to 188pounds per week while working for 30hours. Unless he used the calculator wrong?

Comment

Thanks for the info jpkeates

Comment

Originally posted by rmim View Post
                The guy in black burgers has a contract for 30hours per week, his rent is 550 including bills - he told me he used the calculator and it said he was entitled to 188pounds per week while working for 30hours. Unless he used the calculator wrong?
                That does sound wrong, to start with UC is paid monthly not weekly.
                But impossible to say without knowing his take home pay, family details, the local LHA rates, etc.

However if he's been suspended from work because of coronavirus then isn't he eligible as a Furloughed Worker for the 80% wages Job Retention Scheme that the Chancellor announced?
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-for-employees

If not then stick in a claim for UC and see what happens, worst they can do is say no.

Goin back to the phone situation - here's an example posted on the professional advisers forum at 10:55 this morning,
                An Edinburgh benefits adviser (for a Cancer Support Unit) who was trying to contact the DWP by phone about a clients 'New Style' ESA claim:
                I finally got through to the new claims line for ESA, after a 2 hour wait on hold, and there is no other process for making a claim to ESA other than phoning the UC helpline.
                TBH she should have known that was how you make a 'New Style' ESA claim, but it still shows the waiting times - and that 2 hrs was with the 'Old Style' ESA claims line who shouldn't be busy, (possibly only manned part-time now though), so she has/has to go through a wait again now with UC who will be busy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply nukecad

I tried to use one of the suggested calculators www.entitledto.co.uk

I roughly filled it in. It says he was entitled to 150pounds per month - that's with his 30hrs job. If he is stopped from working due to government stopping all movement I guess that makes him entitled for more?

Does he have to take any steps for this Furloughed worker? Or the employer takes care of it? So far black burgers are still doing takeaways - and he is needed there as he some sort of kitchen supervisor.

The tenant that works security went direct to the jobcentre - the guy there told him people at the job centre itself have been sacked. He still cant get through on the phone without being cut-off.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    Just seen a tweet from sky news -

What about migrants whose visas mean they cannot rely on public funds and potentially feel ill - but feel obligated to go to work?

(This *WILL* be a big issue)"
                    Yes I have 1 overseas student who was only allowed to work for 10hrs anyway. He worked at creams.

He is non EU. I take it he cant get any help?

Comment

rmim,

That £150 from entitledto will be current rates without the anual update due on April 6th or any of the Chancellors new measures.
                      I think you now need to add the extra £1040 a year that the Chancellor announced onto that £150, as well as whatever the change in LHA rate is going to be.
                      I doubt those will be included in the calculators yet, at least until they update on April 6th.

If he's doing 30 hrs, say at minimum wage, then 63% of his take home earnings will be deducted from what he would be entitled to with UC.
                      If he's single over 25 then as from April 6th that UC would be £3123.22 a month, plus whatever the new single LHA rate for the area is, and plus another £84.50 a month extra that the chancellor announced last week.

All those new LHA rates are going to need recalculating again, it hasn't been based on 30% of median rate since 2012.
                      I doubt that anyone at the council/DWP has even calculated the median rates since then.
                      (Hopefully that 30% is going to become the norm again even after corona).

If he is still working then he is not a furloughed worker.
                      But to answer your question the employer has to apply for that scheme not the employee, it's the second section of the link I gave above.

Jobcentre staff haven't 'been sacked' - they have been designated 'key workers' on March 20th, but face to face jobcentre access has been suspended.

Comment

Thanks for the reply nukecake.

1 tenant who just started at a hotel and has not even finished training (a very exclusive expensive hotel) has received an email to say he will receive 80% of his pay. I told him to keep trying for the UC anyway.

As for the black burger tenant I doubt that will still be open in light of yesterdays announcement - I dont think it will be classed as essential.

It's very sad how they are having to fight to get someone on the phone only to be cut off despite trying several times. There should be an automated system which takes their number and they get a call back even if it is days later.

Comment

Todays announcement/lockdown changes things even more.

Hotels are shut down unless residential.

But takeaway food establishments can still stay open (for now) as can grocery shops, food is still esential.

PS. Reports from benefits advice sites that reaching UC by phone today is harder than winning the lottery.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X