Universal Credit - not a question more information to others

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Universal Credit - not a question more information to others

    Hi All,

    I've recently had a tenant (only if your tenant is getting additional aide from the government) stop paying rent, due to the housing benefit moving over to Universal Credit, landlords can not request without the permission of the tenant that they get any housing related payment directly, so reducing any bad debts the tenant is accumulating.

    Just fill in form UC47 and send an e-mail to the Universal team (gov.uk website) and hopefully you can get something back. I've just applied so see what happens.

    And others in the same area.

    I wouldn't hold your breath.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      In filling the form out I have some blanks:

      1) I don't know the "tenant reference number", is this importantant. This is the only property I let so happy with a ref to their NINO
      2) The form requires a signature. Does this mean I have to print the form out, sign it and scan to email back?
      3) I don't have a "creditor reference number" so ticking the appropriate box.

      If anyone can help with points 1 and 2 I would appreciate help.



        You should be able to apply online,
        Apparently there are two versions of the form, one if you have an 'ISecure' email address (listed in that link) and the second if you have a non-secure email address.

        'ISecure' forms are emailed to: Universalcredithousing.aparequests@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
        Non-secure forms are emailed to: ucfull.service@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

        In either case I would just type your name into the Signature box

        You can also post it to a Freepost address if you want, the address should be on the form.

        As for the "tenant reference number" I think that would simply be your reference number for the tenant (if you have them numbered), the DWP wouldn't need to give them a tenant number.
        If you don't have one I'd leave it blank or put "N/A".


          Many thanks. I don't have an "ISecure" email address so will be using the non-secure form.

          I was wondering about simply entering my name in the signature box but didn't want the form to bounce with an even longer delay to being considered.


            Originally posted by Mikexx View Post
            I was wondering about simply entering my name in the signature box but didn't want the form to bounce with an even longer delay to being considered.
            I've never had to do a UC47, or any other UC form, but have done it in the past with other DWP online forms without any problems.

            If you have any doubts then you could give the UC helpline a buzz and get their confirmation.

            One other way of doing it would be to scan your written signature as an image and insert that image into the form.

            This government guide explains about 'digitally signing' documents.

            You'll note that in the section entitled "What is an e-signature and why should you use one" the first option given is simply 'Typewritten', followed by 'Scanned', and then more complicated options.


              Looking at that document, simple signatures are not available to SPVs and other companies, only to flesh and blood individuals.


              Latest Activity


              • housing benefit
                by dizzydoo16
                hi i receive esa suppoet group and enhanched mobility also housing benefit but pay bedroom tax as have 1 spare room if my daughter who will be on income support or universal credit with a child under 5 moves in with me how will it affect my housing benefit would i be better of making her joint tennent...
                10-02-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to housing benefit
                by theartfullodger
                Not to mention the Sovereign grant... and persons like the Andrew formally known as prince who lives in the Queen Mum's old home, Royal Lodge, Windsor Great park, for free on a 70 year lease that he can pass onto his kids after he pops his clogs...
                12-02-2020, 13:10 PM
              • Reply to housing benefit
                by jpucng62
                theartfullodger: If you need the room for equipment or a partner who can't share a room then I believe you are exempt the charge, it is only when the room is not 'needed' that the charge is applied. There are plenty of hard working families, not on benefits, paying tax, who would like an extra room...
                12-02-2020, 13:09 PM
              • Reply to housing benefit
                by theartfullodger
                You'll hopefully be privileged not needing extra rooms for visitors, carers, equipment or partner who can't realistically share a room with you. If so, best wishes and lucky you: If not, best wishes & you have my sympathy. 'sfunny how the Government keeps losing test cases over this - see......
                12-02-2020, 10:37 AM
              • Reply to housing benefit
                by jpucng62
                I really hate the term 'bedroom tax' - it is nothing of the sort and this is a very emotive term. It is a charge that the tenant has to pay because they are not entitled to tax payers money to pay for a bedroom which does not have an occupant.

                I imagine this post may get me some abuse -...
                12-02-2020, 10:12 AM
              • Reply to housing benefit
                by nukecad
                A few things to consider as well as just the bedroom tax.

                Is your ESA Contribution based, Income Related, or both?
                In particular do you get the Severe DisabilityPremium on ESA (£65.85/week)? ie. Do you have Daily Living with the PIP and currently live alone?
                If you do have...
                10-02-2020, 20:18 PM
              • Joint tenancy change
                by Invest4kids
                Hi . My first post. Hope someone can help.
                my tenants are splitting up but one wants to stay with the kids. I'm currently paid direct by the tenant who wants to leave via direct payments from their universal credit claim.

                Their short term agreement period has expired. She now wants...
                06-02-2020, 20:41 PM
              • Reply to Joint tenancy change
                by Invest4kids
                Thanks for your response and I'll take both advice and do nothing!!!
                07-02-2020, 10:36 AM
              • Reply to Joint tenancy change
                by Jon66
                Do nothing at this stage and see if she pays the rent.
                07-02-2020, 01:33 AM
              • Reply to Joint tenancy change
                by Invest4kids
                I agree. Thanks for fast response. I Always stay with the periodic .. quicker to get them out!!! She is asking for a new agreement for the payment of rent to come direct from the 'staying' tenants universal credit. They have been in for about 3 years with minimal issues and have always paid their rent.....
                06-02-2020, 23:19 PM