Three storeys, five tenants: is it an HMO or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three storeys, five tenants: is it an HMO or not?

Not a stupid question really just a query,

I understand that 3 floors, tenants = 5+ is classed as an HMO but I've had a fire officer here today (not to do with lettings, but childcare) and he was talking about HMO's to me . . .

We've just been asked to take on a property that is
    1 shop unit (possibly 2 dependant on what Business wants/requires)

above shop:
    1 side, a 3 bed flat
    other side, a 2 bed flat.

potentially on the ground floor: (behind the shop/s)
    are 2 bedsits!

So the scenario is this,

we could let the whole shop / 2 seperate shops with/without toilet/kitchen facilities (or these could be rented as bedsits)
    plus a 2 bed above one, and a 3 bed above the other shop.

Fire officer we were talking to says this is an HMO???

Effectively we could have 1 T in each of the flats (2 + 3 bed above shops) and let the shops seperately who would want to use the back area themselves, or if they don't we could let the 'back areas' as bedsits!!!

anyone got any ideas on this??
    Would this property/ies be classed as an HMO or not??
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

forgot to mention that this is a 3 storey buiding, shops on the ground floor and the flats either side over 2 floors.

Have I just answered my own question here . .. . . .
    Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Gareth you lazy.....
      go and read your local council "private sector info" ...yes it is an Hmo but you will prob find not licensable as units are self contained ...even tho 3 storeys..

S
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

this link explains all you need to know

Comment

Nice one red40 ...guess that sorts that one out !!!

Simon
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Pretty smart Red but "obviously" I posted on 2 forums to get more views.

Ugh!!!!!
            Ambition is Critical

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X