Window cleaning in HMO - Who is responsible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Window cleaning in HMO - Who is responsible?

    Good afternoon all,

    I was just wondering who would be responsible for the cleaning of outside windows in a HMO?

    Thanks!

    #2
    Your contract might state this?

    Comment


      #3
      Nothing with regards to cleaning the exterior in the contract, just that we are to pay £30 for a cleaner of the communal areas to come weekly.

      The Boroughs HMO regulations state:
      'Duty of the manager to maintain common parts, fixtures, fittings and appliances including stairs,
      banisters, floor coverings, windows, lighting, shared appliances, yards, gardens and boundaries. Common
      parts must be kept free from obstruction, clean and in good order & repair.'

      I'm not sure if that would cover cleaning of exterior windows?

      Thanks.

      Comment


        #4
        What sort of HMO. Is it a joint tenancy (all signed on the same contract), or separate tenancies (each has separatae contract for own room)

        Comment


          #5
          We all have separate tenancies and moved in as separate parties.

          Thanks.

          Comment


            #6
            Does your tenancy contract state you have to pay that amount for the cleaning? Sounds most unfair, indeed stupid, why doesn't landlord simply include it it rent& not mention cleaning of communal areas..
            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
              Does your tenancy contract state you have to pay that amount for the cleaning? Sounds most unfair, indeed stupid, why doesn't landlord simply include it it rent& not mention cleaning of communal areas..
              Tenancy agreement states:
              "The tenants are responsible for the additional monthly payment of £30 for the weekly cleaner visit. The cleaner will attend to the communal areas only and not be responsible for cleaning or tidying the rented room of any of the tenants."

              The landlords are first time landlords and I don't think they have thought things through very well. They want to squeeze as much money as possible from the tenants. they have already increased my rent by 5% when my 6 month contract finishes meaning I will be paying £630 + £30 for cleaner each month. I just don't want to pay anymore than what I should have to for other facilities. Sorry just having a rant.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                What sort of HMO. Is it a joint tenancy (all signed on the same contract), or separate tenancies (each has separatae contract for own room)
                We all have separate tenancies and moved in as separate parties.

                Thanks.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by tenant1001894 View Post
                  Your contract might state this?
                  Nothing with regards to cleaning the exterior in the contract, just that we are to pay £30 for a cleaner of the communal areas to come weekly.

                  The Boroughs HMO regulations state:
                  'Duty of the manager to maintain common parts, fixtures, fittings and appliances including stairs,
                  banisters, floor coverings, windows, lighting, shared appliances, yards, gardens and boundaries. Common
                  parts must be kept free from obstruction, clean and in good order & repair.'

                  I'm not sure if that would cover cleaning of exterior windows?

                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    This seems to be a grey area in your contract. I have several HMOs and consider myself to be responsible for cleaning the windows. None of my tenants have EVER cleaned the windows.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      So "the tenants" have to pay the £30 /week and they are each on a separate contract....

                      Well... in your shoes I'd simply stop paying: That one tenant doesn't pay is obviously no breach to "the tenants" paying the £30 (if a bit selfish..). But a landlord may evict for no reason at all using s21...

                      Question is, do you plan to stay long term?? In which case compromise, somehow...
                      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        When I managed HMOs I arranged for the outside of the windows to be cleaned by a window cleaner but I have since stopped this arrangement because in my opinion the new 'high-reach' hose systems put too much water onto the fabric of the house. I would expect a tenant to clean the inside of their own window however like Berlingogirl, tenants rarely did this.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                          This seems to be a grey area in your contract. I have several HMOs and consider myself to be responsible for cleaning the windows. None of my tenants have EVER cleaned the windows.
                          Yes there is nothing to specify in the contract. I was under the impression that it would be the landlords responsibility. I don't think after 5 months in the property and the kitchen window has a significant limescale build up making it very dirty it is unreasonable to ask for them to clean the windows.

                          I refuse to pay for the entire house to be done and the other tenants have said they aren't bothered about them being cleaned.

                          Thanks for your input

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
                            So "the tenants" have to pay the £30 /week and they are each on a separate contract....

                            Well... in your shoes I'd simply stop paying: That one tenant doesn't pay is obviously no breach to "the tenants" paying the £30 (if a bit selfish..). But a landlord may evict for no reason at all using s21...

                            Question is, do you plan to stay long term?? In which case compromise, somehow...
                            The £30 is per tenant per month. We all have separate tenancy agreements. It's just not the best of written contracts. However I do think as we already pay a cleaning fee that windows should be included in this.

                            The landlords are adamant is is the tenants responsibility so guess the battle continues.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                              When I managed HMOs I arranged for the outside of the windows to be cleaned by a window cleaner but I have since stopped this arrangement because in my opinion the new 'high-reach' hose systems put too much water onto the fabric of the house. I would expect a tenant to clean the inside of their own window however like Berlingogirl, tenants rarely did this.
                              Yes, I agree that the inside of my own window is my responsibility. I'm not an unreasonable tenant I'm just tired of my landlords unwillingness to take responsibility for anything within the house.

                              Thanks for your input

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X