Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmo regulations

Hello,

I have recently bought a property in Hull. It is outside the compulsory HMO licensing area. I am planning to rent 5 rooms out. It is a two storey property. I have been told so many conflicting reports on what safety requirements I need to meet as a minimum.

My experience as a landlord is purely standard residential lets and this is my first HMO .

From what I understand I need the following as a minimum requirement :

Fire door to kitchen (this is the only communal area)
    Fire door to the cupboard under stairs / fuse box etc...
    Carbon monoxide detector
    Smoke detector both floors
    Gas certificate
    Electrical testing

I'm unsure what else is compulsory ? It is obviously not a 3 storey property with 5 or more tenants, and it's not in a compulsory license area.

Perhaps...

Fire blanket / fire extinguisher in kitchen?
    Do the smoke detectors have to be wired in ?

I have searched the Internet but haven't received a definitive answer.

Any hmo landlords out there who could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated ???.

Kind regards

Ryder

It all depends on whether you are renting out as a 'shared house' or as individual room lets.

Google 'Lacors fire safety' and have a read of the pdf. You will definitely need mains interlinked fire/heat alarms, and possibly a 30 minute protected escape route.

Your local council should have minimum standards for HMO's online, such as minimum room sizes acceptable, kitchen facilities required etc.

Read through HMO legislation as well.

To be honest I would have thought you would have researched all this stuff prior to buying.

Comment

Thank you Andy

My initial intention was to rent as a standard residential let, however a letting agent said there was a strong demand in the area for individual rooms.

They will be individual room lets not a shared house.

I have emailed Hull Council for some documentation on HMO regulations in the area. I am aware already that the property is not in their compulsory HMO licenced area.

I was really just wondering if anyone had any advice on regulations as I have never let any houses as an HMO, My other properties are standard lets.

Thanks for your help

Ryder

Comment

Your council HMO officer is the best person to advise you about fire safety regulations, etc.

I would however think carefully about how you are going to manage this new kind of letting, compared with your standard residential experience. First, do you plan to factor Council Tax,energy and water charges into the rent, or do you expect that the various Ts will be jointly liable for them? If the former (which is the only fair way to do it), then how are you going to make sure that they don't each have 6 showers per day and leave the heating on and the windows open 24/7? Second, what plans do you have for the cleaning of the communal areas (because the Ts will almost certainly not do it themselves - they will feel 'ownership' (if at all) only for their own bedrooms. Do you plan to recruit students, or young professionals, people on housing benefits, who?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As 'room only' lets you will need a protected escape route on top of your fire alarm system. This is FS30 fire doors on bedrooms, lounge and kitchen.

As MTG says a cleaner is definitely required for communal areas.

If going 'bills inclusive' don't attempt to restrict heating unless absolutely necessary, education is better. The last thing you want are 'hidden' portable fan heaters in rooms which will cost a fortune in electricity charges.

And you will need to visit regularly. Room only tenants (again as MTG says) do not take ownership of communal areas and do not report faults. Simple things will happen like a 5 bulb light fitting on it's last bulb even where you have provided bulbs (just as an example). So keep fittings simple. Also, if you have workmen round you will probably have to host them unlike a normal rental where your tenants would. (You might get lucky though).

Comment

Is the Government still planning to introduce changes to mandatory HMO licensing this year? From memory I think a 5 bed house over 2 storeys would in future require a licence but I can't quite remember the detail.

Comment

DPT57,

I don't think the government is planning to do very much at the moment and changes to HMO licensing are probably a long way down the priority list!
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ok, you're probably right, its just that the Government's original discussion paper said they would introduce legislation some time in 2016. I realise this may now be delayed, but I suspect the OP may only have a temporary stay of execution before a 5 bed property requires a mandatory licence.

Comment

To provide all occupiers with the manager's name, address and telephone number, this information must be clearly displayed within in the property
                  To ensure that all fire escapes are clear of any obstacles and that they are kept in good order, to ensure that all fire safety measures are maintained in good working order and that adequate fire safety measures are in place with regards to the design, structural conditions and number of occupiers in the HMO
                  The manager must maintain adequate water supply and drainage to the dwelling
                  The manager must not unreasonably cause the electric and gas supply to be interrupted
                  The manager must ensure that every fixed electrical installation is inspected and tested by a suitably qualified person, at intervals not exceeding five years
                  The manager must provide the electrical and gas inspection certificates within seven days of receiving a request of writing from the local housing authority
                  To ensure that all common parts of the HMO are maintained in good decorative order, and safe and working condition. This includes out-buildings, boundaries and gardens
                  The manager must ensure each unit of living accommodation and its contents are clean before occupiers move in and are maintained in good repair and clean working order throughout the occupation by the tenant
                  The manager must provide adequate facilities to dispose of all waste produced by the property

Some of these are more onerous than they appear - the "fire safety measures" one probably involves talking to your local fire brigade and doing what they suggest (which will probably involve a higher than "normal" standard of doors, heat sensitive fire alarms in kitchen(s) and proper fire escapes).
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

DPT57,

The consultation ended a while ago. I'd imagine it will be coming in at some point.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Trailing ethernet cable
                      by grigoreureche
                      Hi,

I am renting a room at the first floor of an HMO. The house has a wi-fi router at the ground floor. Desiring faster Internet, I ran an ethernet cable from the router to my room, securing it with clips (so as not to damage the walls). This has been going on for ~2 years. Today I received...
                      15-07-2022, 15:32 PM
                    • Reply to Trailing ethernet cable
                      by bob369
                      No one should go trailing any cables along walls through any HMO escape route, without due regard to relevant Fire and Electrical Regulations.

The tenant during their induction and fire training should have been instructed on the importance of the 'Escape Route', and how to use it.
                      08-08-2022, 17:31 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
                      by bob369
                      they don't blame the landord. Instead they take action directly against the offender.

Which sounds very sensible, I have heard that in Switzerland they are far less tolerant also.

Around this area it seems many landlords rarely visit their property, or either reside outside...
                      08-08-2022, 17:10 PM
                    • Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
                      by bob369
                      Is there any way to deal with tenants that deliberately refuse to recycle, does any Legislation or possible Council Byelaw cover this ?

I understand that under the HMO regulations (sorry not sure which one, presume it is The Management of ... 2006, 9. Duty to provide waste disposal facilities)...
                      23-03-2022, 10:14 AM
                    • Reply to Landlord does not allow the use of a fan.
                      by bob369
                      There is plenty of regulation - it's inspection and enforcement that is needed.

Agree.

Shoddy and shady landlords seem to somehow evade justice, whilst compliant landlords cope with the burdensome regulations imposed.

Has some of this regulation arisen and been...
                      08-08-2022, 16:51 PM
                    • Landlord does not allow the use of a fan.
                      by SAGA
                      Good Afternoon ,

I rents an attic room in the HMO house.
                      I have a verbal contract which has been in force for several years.

After the first heat wave, when I felt terrible and could not function normally, I decided to buy "White Silver-E 9L Evaporative Portable...
                      14-07-2022, 11:04 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
                      by Flashback1966
                      Germans (on the whole) tend to work as a homogenius group, they take responsibility for the rubbish they produce, and sort accordingly, (and authorities enforce ! where necessary)

In Germany, if an occupant is causing anti-social problems, they don't blame the landord. Instead they take...
                      05-08-2022, 20:44 PM
                    • Reply to Help understanding HMO licensing in Reading
                      by Flashback1966
                      I did some further research and Reading Council’s website states that any property with 3+ tenants requires an HMO license, but I had a read through their guide to licensing and it has no mention of an additional licensing scheme.

You are quite correct. At the moment, it does not need ...
                      05-08-2022, 20:32 PM
                    • Help understanding HMO licensing in Reading
                      by oscarvl
                      Hi,

I am trying to find a new tenancy in Reading along with my two housemates. We are professional sharers with a combined income of £125k+, a good rental history, good references, no credit black marks, in principle we should not have any problems renting, but are struggling to rent anywhere...
                      09-07-2022, 15:46 PM
                    • Reply to Council tax reduction
                      by AlexR
                      Local Councils follow rules, laws etc and I guess you will need to de-register your house as a HMO before they will consider it as such. There will be some way to do this probably only known by an official in the council. I always took note of the Council people who ran or attended the landlords meetings...
                      05-08-2022, 18:35 PM
                    Working...
                    X