How much notice req'd for tenant in HMO with shared facilities ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much notice req'd for tenant in HMO with shared facilities ?

I'm aware for self contained dwellings such as flats it's two months notice to vacate using a section 21. Is this also the case for students etc in shared houses or is it 30 days as is the case with a lodger ?
    Any helpful answers appreciated

If they are a tenant in a shared house, (usually with an AST) 2 months applies.

If they lodge with the Landlord, then it's whatever was agreed.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

As long as its not a licensable HMO, usual possession claims apply, I suppose. If its a licensable HMO and you are reducing the numbers to be below the licensing threshold, you cant use section 21(1)(b) or (4)(a) route

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
        aciduzzo
        I have a three-bed two-storey flat which i intend to let to three unrelated students on a single AST. I understand this will be considered an HMO. I also understand i will need a fire assessment; can this be done by the fire brigade?

I realise i am almost certainly going to have to install...
        22-07-2017, 10:26 AM
      • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
        aciduzzo
        I've now read everything i can find to read on the subject, and an FRA is only required if the FSO applies. See LACORS guidance for evidence of this. Furthermore, the NLA fire-safety logbook states:
        "A fire risk assessment is required for premises where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety)...
        24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
        jpkeates
        Any HMO requires all the HMO regulations to be followed (including a Fire Risk Assessment).
        Licensing only adds some additional local requirements.

You may find that specific planning permission is needed for the premises to be used as an HMO....
        24-07-2017, 08:55 AM
      • Question about loft rooms?
        Logical.Lean
        So I have seen a 3 bed house I think would be ideal for my purposes, which is, that I would use it for 2 years whilst I work in the area before renting it out either as a single dwelling or as a small HMO. (With the lounge as a 4th Bedroom)
        However the 3rd Bedroom is in the loft. Agent says...
        23-07-2017, 16:50 PM
        leaseholder64
        Yes, but if it is a recent, purpose built flat, and the block well managed, and the tenants are a single family, likely to be responsible, and have no mobility problems, it can be very simple and do it yourself, as you can largely rely on the flat being suitable for such tenants, and the tenants acting...
        22-07-2017, 22:39 PM
        aciduzzo
        So are you saying that all landlords need an FRA (even when the FSO doesn't apply)?
        22-07-2017, 21:09 PM
        leaseholder64
        You would be prosecuted under the Housing Act, instead (or in the worst case, for manslaughter).

You have a duty of care for the fire safety of your tenants, and you can't really know that you can fulfil that without going through the same processes as an FSO Fire Risk Assessment. Note...
        22-07-2017, 15:18 PM
        aciduzzo
        Yep, Lewisham council does not require licences for small HMOs. I think the best thing to do is to call their HMO team on Monday, as it's all too confusing! Seems the FSO does not apply to "shared houses" (as defined above), in which case it could be concluded that shared-house HMOs don't...
        22-07-2017, 14:36 PM
        leaseholder64
        As its not licensable, assuming your council doesn't require licensing for all HMOs, it is basically up to you to get advice from a competent person. Everything is just guidance.

However, the basis of the shared house definition is that the the sharers are friends, so it is probably OK...
        22-07-2017, 13:32 PM
        aciduzzo
        thanks - didn't realise that. good to know!

FYI - i found the LACoRS RRO guide 08:

... in low risk two-storey shared houses. Where the first floor is no more
        than 4.5 metres above ground level, rooms used for
        sleeping could be provided with access to a suitable...
        22-07-2017, 13:17 PM
      Working...
      X