Council Tax HMO and AST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax HMO and AST

If a property let out on a single AST which is a HMO by definition, whose name does the council tax need to be in - the tenants or landlords?

Council Tax

In a normal HMO situation - mulitple occupants in a single property, normally shared facilities - the landlord pays the Council Tax (collected through rents) and he is accountable to the council for all his tenants' comings and goings.

Comment

L can decide:
      a. to collect CT within rent (ie rent figure is fixed high so as to incorporate amount of CT, not itself separately identified); or
      b. to reserve in Agreement two types of rent: true rent PLUS a second sum equal to amount of CT. This latter MUST be reserved as rent if L wants ability to treat T's non-payment as rent arrears.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X