Council Tax HMO and AST

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Council Tax HMO and AST

    If a property let out on a single AST which is a HMO by definition, whose name does the council tax need to be in - the tenants or landlords?

  • #2
    Council Tax

    In a normal HMO situation - mulitple occupants in a single property, normally shared facilities - the landlord pays the Council Tax (collected through rents) and he is accountable to the council for all his tenants' comings and goings.


    • #3
      L can decide:
      a. to collect CT within rent (ie rent figure is fixed high so as to incorporate amount of CT, not itself separately identified); or
      b. to reserve in Agreement two types of rent: true rent PLUS a second sum equal to amount of CT. This latter MUST be reserved as rent if L wants ability to treat T's non-payment as rent arrears.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


      Latest Activity