Convert to HMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    I'd say porcelain tiles on the floor wherever you can.

And fit a "Surestop" on the water supply with a switch *above* the worktop.

Read HMOLandlady's book.

She actually gets away with CCTV in the common parts.

http://hmolandlady.wordpress.com/201...heres-trouble/

ML
    HMO Landlady - thanks!! Most excellent blog. Scary though. I'm moving towards a standard family AST as I don't want to spend my time sorting out the lives of druggies, alcoholics, crims etc.

Shocking really, because the income difference is colossal. Still, I'd rather sleep at night....

Thanks re the Article 4 thing. I believe that Liverpool is in the process of introducing licenses, however my proposed HMO is 4 (or possibly 5) rooms, let to individuals over 2 storeys and the HMO license requirements are currently 5 individuals over 3 storeys and its most clear on the liverpool council website that the property has to be both criteria to require a licence.

Things change, and licensing and regulation is on the government agenda which I don't really have an issue with (unless the costs for registration\regulation become onerous).
    Last edited by jonthemon; 05-02-2013, 19:30 PM. Reason: update on re-reading

Comment

Originally posted by jonthemon View Post
      HMO Landlady - thanks!! Most excellent blog. Scary though. I'm moving towards a standard family AST as I don't want to spend my time sorting out the lives of druggies, alcoholics, crims etc.

Shocking really, because the income difference is colossal. Still, I'd rather sleep at night....

Thanks re the Article 4 thing. I believe that Liverpool is in the process of introducing licenses, however my proposed HMO is 4 (or possibly 5) rooms, let to individuals over 2 storeys and the HMO license requirements are currently 5 individuals over 3 storeys and its most clear on the liverpool council website that the property has to be both criteria to require a licence.

Things change, and licensing and regulation is on the government agenda which I don't really have an issue with (unless the costs for registration\regulation become onerous).
      You're making a basic HMO error here.

Licensing is not Planning - They are two distinct things.

See here, this should help explain... I would encourage you to read and digest in full as well as pay particular attention to the section called Planning Permission? "But I don't need a licence?"

http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blo...ple-occupation
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

OK, its a two part process then (at least...) I don't see any notes on the web re Council taking the Article 4 route will deffo check before opening.

The apparent certainty of dealing with multiple repeated issues\damage tenant arrears etc leads me to think I'd be better off with a standard single AST, possibly after the financial issues are properly comapred I wouldn't be much worse off, at least at first as I get used to the area and maybe build a bigger portfolio.

thanks all for the input.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X