Live in landlord is it a HMO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Live in landlord is it a HMO?

    How many lodgers can a live in landlord have before the house becomes a HMO?

    #2
    2 Lodgers is allowed. Any more than 2 and the property is deemed to be a HMO.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by schocca View Post
      2 Lodgers is allowed. Any more than 2 and the property is deemed to be a HMO.
      Agreed.

      If landlord themselves are a tenant, then only 1.

      Comment


        #4
        Anyone knows the legal reference for the owner occupier case? (HA 2004 lost me... )

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
          Anyone knows the legal reference for the owner occupier case? (HA 2004 lost me... )
          schedule 14 of the 2004 Housing Act, the exemption only applies when it is a homeowner

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            schedule 14 of the 2004 Housing Act, the exemption only applies when it is a homeowner
            Thanks Snorkerz.

            Sorry for being thick, but where does it say 2 persons in addition to owner's household?
            I only found: "no more than such number of other persons as is specified for the purposes of this paragraph in regulations made by the appropriate national authority."

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
              Thanks Snorkerz.

              Sorry for being thick, but where does it say 2 persons in addition to owner's household?
              I only found: "no more than such number of other persons as is specified for the purposes of this paragraph in regulations made by the appropriate national authority."

              An 'owned building' gets the lodger exemption:

              Buildings which are not HMOs for purposes of this Act (excluding Part 1)
              Buildings occupied by owners

              6(1)Any building which is occupied only by persons within the following paragraphs—.
              (a)one or more persons who have, whether in the whole or any part of it, either the freehold estate or a leasehold interest granted for a term of more than 21 years;.
              (b)any member of the household of such a person or persons;.
              (c)no more than such number of other persons as is specified for the purposes of this paragraph in regulations made by the appropriate national authority


              But a 'rented building' doesn't so 1 occupant + 2 lodgers would fall under the "3 or more persons forming more than 1 household"

              Comment


                #8
                Resident landlord

                Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                Sorry for being thick, but where does it say 2 persons in addition to owner's household?
                I only found: "no more than such number of other persons as is specified for the purposes of this paragraph in regulations made by the appropriate national authority."
                As Snorkerz has directed, the info is, in part, in Schedule 14(6) of the Housing Act 2004:-

                Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                An 'owned building' gets the lodger exemption:

                Buildings which are not HMOs for purposes of this Act (excluding Part 1)
                Buildings occupied by owners

                6(1)Any building which is occupied only by persons within the following paragraphs—.
                (a)one or more persons who have, whether in the whole or any part of it, either the freehold estate or a leasehold interest granted for a term of more than 21 years;.
                (b)any member of the household of such a person or persons;.
                (c)no more than such number of other persons as is specified for the purposes of this paragraph in regulations made by the appropriate national authority
                What is missing is the actual 'appropriate national authority' part highlighted in c. This can be found in The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006; Regulation 6(2).

                HTH

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks both.
                  I had indeed found schedule 14, but as pointed out it does not define how many lodgers before property is considered a HMO.
                  Thanks red40 for pointing out the line defining that number in these other regulations.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thank you everyone. Your comments have been very helpful.

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    • Rookie landlord: Is HMO really much more complex ?
                      Proprio
                      Hello all,

                      As a matter of introduction: i have only owned the flats I have lived in so far, but as I have managed to spare a good amount of money now, I would like to invest it in property.

                      Given the poor returns of traditional buy to lets I was thinking of going for a student...
                      21-01-2018, 23:41 PM
                    • Tenant causing annoyance
                      Federico
                      Hello everyone . I'm writing in here as we have a flatmate who is causing annoyance in the shared house where we live. This person and us had several arguments using strong words and impolite behaviour. He got an anger problem and one day it was even close to fight with me. He's smokes in the house...
                      20-01-2018, 22:18 PM
                    • AirBNB within HMO
                      bob369
                      Hi,

                      I own a Licensed HMO, the license allows for up to 5 tenants - in 4 rooms, I have 4 tenants in 4 rooms.

                      I have a smaller room that the License - when it was imposed stopped me renting out, and is now vacant - minimum room sizes were quoted as reasons it could not be included....
                      09-01-2018, 16:32 PM
                    • Reply to AirBNB within HMO
                      bob369
                      Thanks.
                      I think I need to confirm that you could actually let an unused part of an HMO - say for storage, or for say a holiday home let.
                      If you going the AirBNB route - you would need to confirm in the eyes of licencing what is a 'temporary' let, and how long that is measured as.
                      18-01-2018, 13:39 PM
                    • HMO and lack of deposit protection
                      FannyAdams73
                      I rented a room in a house as a lodger. When I moved out and the landlord wouldn't give me my deposit back I started to look into the whole lodger issue and discovered I had been living in an HMO (with 4 other tenants "lodgers"). I went back to him and tried to reason with him about the deposit...
                      05-01-2018, 15:25 PM
                    • Reply to HMO and lack of deposit protection
                      theartfullodger
                      +1,loanarranger's advice excellent. Were I he I'd be using to check if what mortgage applicants say is correct (eg where they really live, with whom... )

                      You may also be amazed what you find with Google and/or social media.

                      Wife's name eh? She's probably less careful about...
                      15-01-2018, 17:42 PM
                    • Reply to HMO and lack of deposit protection
                      loanarranger
                      May I suggest you use a company which I find very useful, I am not advertising it as there may be similar on the net so hopefully given the circumstances the Moderator will allow a name drop, The Co is 192.com, pay the fee and insert his name and approx location/ town , in turn they will produce all...
                      15-01-2018, 17:22 PM
                    • Reply to AirBNB within HMO
                      theartfullodger
                      That depends on what the actual occupancy is. If a genuine holiday for a couple of days, yes. However if the occupant turns out to really be living there (how would you stop him..) it's an AST - deposit protection, etc etc etc....
                      11-01-2018, 07:32 AM
                    • Reply to AirBNB within HMO
                      bob369
                      Agreed, a more thorough understanding of the HMO reg's is needed, I asked one chap at the NLA helpline and he felt it should not be an issue.
                      Going by our local councils own written up standards - I think they may glaze over if I were to ask a question thats outside there sphere of thinking and...
                      10-01-2018, 20:47 PM
                    • Reply to AirBNB within HMO
                      DPT57
                      You could probably rent it for storage but as Artful says, the HMO regulations are broad and cover a wide range of occupation conditions. I have no experience of this and its worth you checking with your local authority but I assume that in the case of 3 or more lodgers in an owner occupied property...
                      10-01-2018, 16:44 PM
                    Working...
                    X