HMO Room Rents - how do you break down rental costs or dont you bother ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPAL Group in administration

This thread has gone quite for a while but at time I read it with interest.

I thought that with reference to some of the earlier discussions about private/corporate student accommodation, the following article would be of interest to others:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Ho...ail/story.html

I heard that at one point they reduced their rent to £50 per week.

Comment

Here is one of the reasons why Opal will have gone into administration... The council allowed Purpose Built to get out of control in Nottingham to the extent that there are 6,000 spare bedrooms for students in Nottingham for next academic year - sep 2013.

Some thoughts on purpose built development:
      http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blog/2012/11/21/housing-nottingham-plan-for-students

Some thoughts on what private landlords need to focus on as a consequence:
      http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blog/2013/03/14/race-to-quality-student-homes-in-nottingham
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Question about loft rooms?
        Logical.Lean
        So I have seen a 3 bed house I think would be ideal for my purposes, which is, that I would use it for 2 years whilst I work in the area before renting it out either as a single dwelling or as a small HMO. (With the lounge as a 4th Bedroom)
        However the 3rd Bedroom is in the loft. Agent says...
        23-07-2017, 16:50 PM
      • Reply to Question about loft rooms?
        Logical.Lean
        Having now viewed it, I think the window would need to be lower (or a small staircase built under it ) and larger....
        26-07-2017, 20:12 PM
      • HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
        aciduzzo
        I have a three-bed two-storey flat which i intend to let to three unrelated students on a single AST. I understand this will be considered an HMO. I also understand i will need a fire assessment; can this be done by the fire brigade?

I realise i am almost certainly going to have to install...
        22-07-2017, 10:26 AM
      • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
        aciduzzo
        I spoke to a couple of FRA assessors today and, as we thought, they said the open-plan layout is an issue. As you say, Lacors is a set of guidelines not standards, and the risk assessors indicated they would almost-certainly recommend improvements to the internal escape route regardless of Lacors guidelines...
        25-07-2017, 18:12 PM
        jpkeates
        The assessment would be done in line with the LACORS guidelines, that's what they're for.
        But Lacors is a guideline, not a set of standards.

Get the assessment done, it's not that expensive and it might save you a lot of hassle if what you're trying to do is a complete non-starte...
        25-07-2017, 14:58 PM
        aciduzzo
        Thanks jpkeates. in my case, it's clear that the open-plan layout is an issue, and i would expect a professional risk assessment to flag that. However, do these assessments take into consideration the LACORS guidelines? In my case, section 9.8 and 14 regarding windows as an alternative escape route...
        25-07-2017, 13:32 PM
      • Reply to Question about loft rooms?
        jpkeates
        It may make the fire exit route an issue.
        25-07-2017, 10:58 AM
        jpkeates
        Your property doesn't seem to fall under the scope of the Fire Safety Order as it is a shared house - which means that the measures adopted may not be as stringent as those mandated by the order.

The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 section 4 says that...
        25-07-2017, 10:57 AM
        aciduzzo
        I've now read everything i can find to read on the subject, and an FRA is only required if the FSO applies. See LACORS guidance for evidence of this. Furthermore, the NLA fire-safety logbook states:
        "A fire risk assessment is required for premises where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety)...
        24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
        jpkeates
        Any HMO requires all the HMO regulations to be followed (including a Fire Risk Assessment).
        Licensing only adds some additional local requirements.

You may find that specific planning permission is needed for the premises to be used as an HMO....
        24-07-2017, 08:55 AM
      Working...
      X