House share one student not paying bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House share one student not paying bills

My d/d is at uni sharing a house with 3 others ,one girl is refusing to pay her share of the bills despite having a full time job, as my d/d is the lead student for some of the bills we are really worried this girl will do a runner leaving my daughter to pay her bills.
    This girl got a months salary on Friday and refused to give my d/d her shareof the bills.I would appreciate any advice as it must be an old problem,but I am not letting go of it ,this girl is quite devious and needs to be made to pay.

Are all the girls on a joint tenancy?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMO and lack of deposit protection
      FannyAdams73
      I rented a room in a house as a lodger. When I moved out and the landlord wouldn't give me my deposit back I started to look into the whole lodger issue and discovered I had been living in an HMO (with 4 other tenants "lodgers"). I went back to him and tried to reason with him about the deposit...
      05-01-2018, 15:25 PM
    • Reply to HMO and lack of deposit protection
      theartfullodger
      +1,loanarranger's advice excellent. Were I he I'd be using to check if what mortgage applicants say is correct (eg where they really live, with whom... )

You may also be amazed what you find with Google and/or social media.

Wife's name eh? She's probably less careful about...
      15-01-2018, 17:42 PM
    • Reply to HMO and lack of deposit protection
      loanarranger
      May I suggest you use a company which I find very useful, I am not advertising it as there may be similar on the net so hopefully given the circumstances the Moderator will allow a name drop, The Co is 192.com, pay the fee and insert his name and approx location/ town , in turn they will produce all...
      15-01-2018, 17:22 PM
    • AirBNB within HMO
      bob369
      Hi,

I own a Licensed HMO, the license allows for up to 5 tenants - in 4 rooms, I have 4 tenants in 4 rooms.

I have a smaller room that the License - when it was imposed stopped me renting out, and is now vacant - minimum room sizes were quoted as reasons it could not be included....
      09-01-2018, 16:32 PM
    • Reply to AirBNB within HMO
      theartfullodger
      That depends on what the actual occupancy is. If a genuine holiday for a couple of days, yes. However if the occupant turns out to really be living there (how would you stop him..) it's an AST - deposit protection, etc etc etc....
      11-01-2018, 07:32 AM
      bob369
      Agreed, a more thorough understanding of the HMO reg's is needed, I asked one chap at the NLA helpline and he felt it should not be an issue.
      Going by our local councils own written up standards - I think they may glaze over if I were to ask a question thats outside there sphere of thinking and...
      10-01-2018, 20:47 PM
      DPT57
      You could probably rent it for storage but as Artful says, the HMO regulations are broad and cover a wide range of occupation conditions. I have no experience of this and its worth you checking with your local authority but I assume that in the case of 3 or more lodgers in an owner occupied property...
      10-01-2018, 16:44 PM
      bob369
      I understand a let such as with Air BNB is outside the scope of the Housing act and the requirement for an AST, it is termed a bare 'licence', with only personal rights, not any proprietory rights (as per an AST).
      10-01-2018, 16:12 PM
      bob369
      Thank you for your deeper thought, yes i am racking (no punn on Rackman intended) my brain also.

This has become an 'other' room, I wonder what licences say about properties that have several 'other' rooms, my property seems to have two - does every room in an HMO come under a licences...
      10-01-2018, 16:00 PM
      DPT57
      Having thought about this a little more I think Artful is probably right and the HMO regulations would apply to this bedroom even if you let it in a different way....
      10-01-2018, 12:15 PM
    Working...
    X