interlinked system in bedrooms?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • interlinked system in bedrooms?

    Hi all,

    I need to get a part 6 grade D interlinked system installed to protect bedrooms, kitchen, study, lounge and other common areas.

    The electricians visited yesterday to provide me with an estimate. They seemed to think that it would not be neccessary to install detectors in the bedrooms, and that detectors in the landings right outside the bedrooms would be sufficient, providing that the decibel check that they carry out would prove loud enough from inside the rooms when the doors were closed. They also informed me that they had installed many other interlinked systems in HMO properties in the town and they had not required one in each room either.

    I am wondering if this sounds right to everyone here, or is it more likely the case that one will be needed in each room as I had previously thought?

    The wording of the email from the council states "an interlinked system to protect the bedrooms, common areas" etc... so I supposed this could mean that as long as they can be heard from inside the rooms then they are protected. I really thought that one per room would be the minimum requirement regardless of how audible the alarms are, unless anyone else knows otherwise?

    Also, I am going to have to install an Aquamist style sprinkler system at some point in the future. I got a quote for £3700 just to cover my lounge. Does this sound about right, or has anyone been able to find it cheaper somewhere?

    Many thanks, John.

  • #2
    I have come across this before and usually find that electricians are talking about not needing full coverage when the system is installed as per the building regulations, however if a property was converted without building regs approval local authorities refer to one of the tables set out in BS5839 which asks for full coverage.


    Latest Activity


    • HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      I have a three-bed two-storey flat which i intend to let to three unrelated students on a single AST. I understand this will be considered an HMO. I also understand i will need a fire assessment; can this be done by the fire brigade?

      I realise i am almost certainly going to have to install...
      22-07-2017, 10:26 AM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      I spoke to a couple of FRA assessors today and, as we thought, they said the open-plan layout is an issue. As you say, Lacors is a set of guidelines not standards, and the risk assessors indicated they would almost-certainly recommend improvements to the internal escape route regardless of Lacors guidelines...
      25-07-2017, 18:12 PM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      The assessment would be done in line with the LACORS guidelines, that's what they're for.
      But Lacors is a guideline, not a set of standards.

      Get the assessment done, it's not that expensive and it might save you a lot of hassle if what you're trying to do is a complete non-starte...
      25-07-2017, 14:58 PM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      Thanks jpkeates. in my case, it's clear that the open-plan layout is an issue, and i would expect a professional risk assessment to flag that. However, do these assessments take into consideration the LACORS guidelines? In my case, section 9.8 and 14 regarding windows as an alternative escape route...
      25-07-2017, 13:32 PM
    • Question about loft rooms?
      So I have seen a 3 bed house I think would be ideal for my purposes, which is, that I would use it for 2 years whilst I work in the area before renting it out either as a single dwelling or as a small HMO. (With the lounge as a 4th Bedroom)
      However the 3rd Bedroom is in the loft. Agent says...
      23-07-2017, 16:50 PM
    • Reply to Question about loft rooms?
      It may make the fire exit route an issue.
      25-07-2017, 10:58 AM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      Your property doesn't seem to fall under the scope of the Fire Safety Order as it is a shared house - which means that the measures adopted may not be as stringent as those mandated by the order.

      The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 section 4 says that...
      25-07-2017, 10:57 AM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      I've now read everything i can find to read on the subject, and an FRA is only required if the FSO applies. See LACORS guidance for evidence of this. Furthermore, the NLA fire-safety logbook states:
      "A fire risk assessment is required for premises where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety)...
      24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      Any HMO requires all the HMO regulations to be followed (including a Fire Risk Assessment).
      Licensing only adds some additional local requirements.

      You may find that specific planning permission is needed for the premises to be used as an HMO....
      24-07-2017, 08:55 AM
    • Reply to HMO fire-safety questions - open plan living area
      Yes, but if it is a recent, purpose built flat, and the block well managed, and the tenants are a single family, likely to be responsible, and have no mobility problems, it can be very simple and do it yourself, as you can largely rely on the flat being suitable for such tenants, and the tenants acting...
      22-07-2017, 22:39 PM