HMO Repairs to common area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO Repairs to common area.

I live in a rented flat in a purpose built HMO. The carpet throughout the common area of the building is in bad repair and has been used for the last 16 years by the tenants of 38 flats. The easy chairs in the communal lounge are in a state of disrepair. The tenants of the building have requested that the landlord install new carpeting and supply new easy chairs. The landlord has agreed to supply these items provided the tenants pay all the costs. My question is;
    Because the areas in question are common areas, doesn't the cost of replacing these items fall to the landlord and not the tenants?

It does fall to the landlord - but at the same time, the decision about whether to replace is his also. If the carpets etc are a safety issue - talk to the HMO or EHO officer at your local council.

Comment

If the property is purpose built flats and not a converted building it wont be a HMO. However the items in the communal areas are down to the landlord to renew/repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        It does fall to the landlord - but at the same time, the decision about whether to replace is his also. If the carpets etc are a safety issue - talk to the HMO or EHO officer at your local council.
        Tom2002: in the Letting Agreement's wording, what obligations does L undertake re the communal areas?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X