grey area in defintion of hmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grey area in defintion of hmo

I could potentially let our house to 3 acquaintances - they are a young couple and the younger brother of one of the couple. not sure if this would be classed as a HMO??? any advice please...

no it wouldnt. there have to be 3 "strangers" living together for it to be a hmo. couples and relatives dont count so you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by madmaxwell View Post
      no it wouldnt. there have to be 3 "strangers" living together for it to be a hmo. couples and relatives dont count so you will be fine
      I think rather than 'strangers', the best phrase is probably 'unrelated sharers'.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

many thanks for clearing that up - but I may avoid them now anyway - starting to think that letting to friends is not such a good idea....

Comment

Strangers is correct.
          And yes, renting to friends is a big mistake.

Comment

got another potential let now - corporate let to 3 foreign workers. not sure if this would be a HMO or not - I've read the council web page about HMOs but the definition of a 'household' is a bit vague. they are not related but are known to each other and would share a single household with shared facilities and common areas - lounge bathroom kitchen etc - 2 storey house BTW - bedrooms do not have key lockable doors. Would really welcome any thoughts....

Comment

As the potential tenants are not related, then this would be a HMO. The impact here would be dependant upon your local council. Have a look on their website and have a chat with them.

You will also need to consider and produce a fire risk safety assessment and may have to complete works on the house to meet the requirements of the risk assessment. The corporate let MAY require additional safety requirements unless the tenants are identified up-front in the contract (i.e. if the tenancy contract allows the company to control who is staying there, then this ups the risk on the house significantly).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X