Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License or Tenancy Agreement?

Hi there,

Just stumbled across this forum which is a great idea!

I'm just embarking on my HMO investment adventure and have a couple of conflicting bits of advice and wondered what others were doing and the pros and cons etc.

Do I give my tenants an Assured Shothold Tenancy for 6 months OR do I let them have a licence for staying there.

I've heard of some HMO's using licences (to allow quicker access to property and also means tenants don't generte any kind of interest in the property too) but the stuff I've found on the web so far regarding a licence only seems to apply if the landlord is living at the property too, which I won't be.

Any ideas? Past experiences? Advice?

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Whether an agreement is a lease or a licence does not principally depend upon what you call it, but on whether the occupier has exclusive possesion.

So, taking two extremes, if your HMO comprises self contained flats each let to different people then they will be tenants. If, on the other hand, your HMO comprises a dormitory with all of the occupiers sharing the facilities and each with thier own agreement with you they will be licensees.

The key question is do any of them have exclusive possesion of parts of the premises, however there are (as ever) grey areas.
    NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by swishproperty
      Do I give my tenants an Assured Shothold Tenancy for 6 months OR do I let them have a licence for staying there. Dave
      They will be tenants whatever agreement you come to, and they will have a tenancy agreement whether you give them one in writing or not.

(to allow quicker access to property and also means tenants don't generte any kind of interest in the property too)
      An Assured Shorthold Tenancy does not generate any long term interest for the tenants.

Comment

They will be tenants whatever agreement you come to, and they will have a tenancy agreement whether you give them one in writing or not.
        Not always so. I have clients with HMO's with licensees rather than tenants and on at least one occasion this has been tested in court and my client has been succesful. To be fair this is hostel type accomodation where all the facilities are shared with other tenants and there is a resident warden, the client being a housing association. Nonetheless, as I said in my earlier post whether a residential occupier is a licensee or a tenant will turn on the issue of exclusive possesion.
        NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claim rent arrears in HMO
          by Seaes56
          Good morning.

I have an HMO tenant who has not paid his rent for 2 months. S21 and S8 have been served and I will be applying for possession next month. Can I start the process in claiming for the rent arrears ahead of applying for possession? I am happy to risk the claim for future monies....
          18-05-2022, 08:52 AM
        • Reply to Claim rent arrears in HMO
          by PrimePropertyCareHMO
          Hi Seaes,

So you have served S21 and S8 and both notices are expiring next month? There are pros and cons about using both notices for the possession. If you use S8 it might be quicker but there is no guarantee that possession would be given in court. If you use S21 for possession it might...
          18-05-2022, 12:41 PM
          by Seaes56
          Thank you for the information.

Would there be any risk if I start the claim for arrears now and if necessary, apply for possession using Section 21. The tenant is out of the fixed period. I think notification from the court would prompt him to address the situation now rather then it escalating...
          18-05-2022, 10:29 AM
          by jpkeates
          There's a risk is that if you start a claim for the money owed, it will interfere with the section 8 claim if the claim includes rent owed.
          You'd be essentially claiming the same debt twice.

It may not be an issue, but if I were the tenant, I'd make sure it was brought up.
          18-05-2022, 09:41 AM
        • Reply to Air b n b question
          by DPT57
          Do you understand that unless the person renting is genuinely on holiday, they are likely to have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, regardless of whatever the Airbnb contract says....
          16-05-2022, 08:53 AM
        • Air b n b question
          by louh79
          Hi I'm looking for any advice,I'm listing a 2 bedroom penthouse on air b n b .It's 3 bedrooms ,one room is study space ,2 bathrooms, underground car parking,gym,sauna etc

I am completely new to air b n b and general renting.Is there any basics I should know .
          Ive read some terms...
          14-05-2022, 22:19 PM
          by jpkeates
          Have you checked your lease will allow this use?

Have you checked any mortgage on the property will allow this use?

Does your local authority limit how many days properties can be let in any one year?

Why have you decided to let your property when you know that...
          15-05-2022, 09:33 AM
          by theartfullodger
          Do your mortgage and insurance permit you to do this? What training in being a landlord?

Can you afford damage, voids, legal action?
          15-05-2022, 09:20 AM
        • Can classification as an HMO reduce your house value when you sell?
          by inthelandlordzone
          Hi,

I have a single dwelling five bed house with one kitchen,
          but two bathrooms
          and one 2 room 'suite' that has it's own shower and toilet
          though kitchen and all other areas are shared
          + the house has one shared single main entrance and shared garden

03-05-2022, 09:55 AM
        • Reply to Can classification as an HMO reduce your house value when you sell?
          by gnvqsos
          I cannot see how this designation will reduce value. However many such places are hard to convert back to homes which are aesthetically pleasing .They have been spoilt by ruthless partitioning ,fire doors ,locks etc Many owners put little investment back, opting to draw rent and take a profit.
          10-05-2022, 17:35 PM
        Working...
        X