Is it an HMO if landlord is resident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it an HMO if landlord is resident?

Right, Im sure this sounds daft, but if I buy a huge house and live in it, but rent out rooms, so the tenants are sharing facilities, does this constitute an hmo?
    Cheers
    Molly

landlord plus 2 lodgers = no HMO

landlord plus more than 2 lodgers = HMO

Comment

Are you sure? If L is resident, and lodgers are therefore not separate-unit occupiers, is it not then still a single household?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yes I am sure.

Comment

Lodgers in Scotland

If I rent out 3 rooms to lodgers (one room en-suite) and my son stays in the property do I need an HMO? I live in Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by masnowdrop13@hotmail View Post
            If I rent out 3 rooms to lodgers (one room en-suite) and my son stays in the property do I need an HMO? I live in Scotland
            Warning: Scottish law is different from E&W where most LZ members are.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I agree with Jeffrey - the Scottish Law requires all landlords to register before renting out rooms - whether you are resident or not.

Also, Attila is correct regarding the live-in situation - as soon as you hit 2 or more in a HMO, then it is classified as a HMO per the normal regulations - 2 or more unrelated households is a HMO.

Obviously if you have a HMO with 3 or 4 in then the health and safety regulations are less, but you will still have to adhere to them.

The only way I have heard of a landlord going around this is where the entire house lives as a household - ie they cook together, walk the dog, breakfast is provided etc. But I wouldn't rely on it as the councils are tightening up where they can.

regards
              Matthew
              Free Advice and 10-Part Ecourse
              On HMO Property Business

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X