Moved out but keys returned late-LL trying to charge days with keys as extra rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved out but keys returned late-LL trying to charge days with keys as extra rent

I moved out of an HMO tenancy at the end of April. LL was negligent to say the least: maintenance v poor, communication sporadic, No HMO licence and deposit protected very late (after LL lied about having protected it). I won't dwell on the other issues and how I intend to pursue them legally. My main issue is that despite moving out on the mutually agreed date I kept the keys as my LL lives far away and didn't give any instructions on where to send or leave them.
    1.There are 4 other tenants in the house and my room was left unlocked.
    2. The LL said they would perform a post-tenancy inspection but, as expected, just got the other tenants to photograph my room a week or so after I left.
    3. LL had my room inspected, 'cleaned' and the (terrible and cheap) bed removed 13 days after I left. Despite asking many times, she didn't let me know of her intended deductions until 16 days after I left.
    4. She explicitly asked me to leave keys in kitchen 11 days after I moved out (no mention of them prior to this). I immediately went back and did so and photographed it.

She is saying my deposit will be charged a further 11 days rent for the time I had the keys, actually saying this is something the deposit protection scheme have advised. Since I had actually moved out and she has no loss from this (she clearly didn't intend to clean, inspect or re-let the room during this period) is this actually correct? I intend to dispute all of her proposed deductions.

She has tried to make other outrageous deductions and I've informed her I will be sending a n208 for compensation for lack of deposit protection-a slam dunk. I also told her I will consider any settlement she offers. I'm aware I can also apply for a RRO and am considering this (I gathered a lot of evidence).

No it doesn’t sound correct.
    Keys aren’t some kind of magic thing.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are disputing it, or pursuing the case through the courts, then you will get the judgement from both organisations.

If keys weren't handed back, then I would have claimed the cost of the changing the locks etc.

Comment

ash72,

As I said in my post, the keys were returned. Just after I actually removed all my things and moved out (I appreciate some may claim I haven't "moved out" if I have the keys). LL suffered no loss as she didn't need new keys or locks and there was no delay in entering, inspecting or re-letting the room.

Comment

Just dispute it and ask for the deposit scheme to adjudicate.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            Just dispute it and ask for the deposit scheme to adjudicate.
            She gave back money equivalent to 90% of the deposit via bank transfer today. Bizarre. I asked her if this was meant to be the deposit being returned or a settlement/compensation for the issues. No response. I'll still challenge via the scheme and send off the N208 form.

Comment

The landlord is usually advised by the deposit scheme to refund any undisputed deposit amount to the tenant, so I assume ghe 10% is the claimed amount. If youre disputing it then the scheme will decide.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X