Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO deal analysis

Hi everyone,

I've got a few single lets where we've used the BRRR strategy and am now venturing out to my first HMO - however I'm struggling to assess whether it is a good deal!

We've agreed a purchase on 3 bed terrace in the NW and we are looking to convert it to a 5 bed all ensuite. We know there is demand in the area we are looking at and are quiet confident that the rooms will be filled.

The 'return on money left in' the deal once refinanced is suitable for what we are after and gives a reasonable cashflow. However, the biggest stumbling block for me is that the purchase price + fees + refurbishment cost is a fair amount greater than what the property will be valued at once the works are complete.

What this effectively means, if we were to sell the property after the works we will lose money.

The intention is not to sell. However, when we analyse our single lets one of our exit options is that we don't lose money if we had to sell the property after completion of works. This exit option wouldn't exist here due to the larger refurb cost associated with the HMO.

I just wanted people's views on this - is this fairly common for those that have created their own HMOs?

Thanks

Jitsy

You should run your plans past the local HMO licensing team. They can be very helpful in pointing out issues. One that I can foresee is that with such a development its possible, even likely that the valuation office will be notified and they may decide to band each ensuite bedroom as a distinct welling meaning you will pay 5 lots of Council tax, not 1.

Comment

Originally posted by jitsy View Post
      Hi everyone,

However, the biggest stumbling block for me is that the purchase price + fees + refurbishment cost is a fair amount greater than what the property will be valued at once the works are complete.
      How can you know what it would be worth in the future ?

For an HMO business the important number is the return on your investment.
      Flipping properties is a different business but I can honestly say I've never spent more on a property than it's resale value.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claim rent arrears in HMO
        by Seaes56
        Good morning.

I have an HMO tenant who has not paid his rent for 2 months. S21 and S8 have been served and I will be applying for possession next month. Can I start the process in claiming for the rent arrears ahead of applying for possession? I am happy to risk the claim for future monies....
        18-05-2022, 08:52 AM
      • Reply to Claim rent arrears in HMO
        by Seaes56
        This is all really helpful. Thank you all very much!
        18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
        by jpkeates
        No additional risk.

The plus side of using a separate claim for the debt is that rent owed is quite a simple thing to show.
        Rent is due when it's due and there's not really any defence to not paying it.
        The most a tenant can do is try and make some kind of counter-claim....
        18-05-2022, 13:59 PM
        by theartfullodger
        Is this you please?? The snap looks rather like Ilva...

https://www.primepropertycare.com/

Defiantly given! What laws & regulations would the judge defy if granting a PO in interesting circumstances one wonders?

Useful links - for checking s21 -
        http...
        18-05-2022, 13:57 PM
        by PrimePropertyCareHMO
        Hi Seaes,

So you have served S21 and S8 and both notices are expiring next month? There are pros and cons about using both notices for the possession. If you use S8 it might be quicker but there is no guarantee that possession would be given in court. If you use S21 for possession it might...
        18-05-2022, 12:41 PM
        by Seaes56
        Thank you for the information.

Would there be any risk if I start the claim for arrears now and if necessary, apply for possession using Section 21. The tenant is out of the fixed period. I think notification from the court would prompt him to address the situation now rather then it escalating...
        18-05-2022, 10:29 AM
        by jpkeates
        There's a risk is that if you start a claim for the money owed, it will interfere with the section 8 claim if the claim includes rent owed.
        You'd be essentially claiming the same debt twice.

It may not be an issue, but if I were the tenant, I'd make sure it was brought up.
        18-05-2022, 09:41 AM
      • Reply to Air b n b question
        by DPT57
        Do you understand that unless the person renting is genuinely on holiday, they are likely to have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, regardless of whatever the Airbnb contract says....
        16-05-2022, 08:53 AM
      • Air b n b question
        by louh79
        Hi I'm looking for any advice,I'm listing a 2 bedroom penthouse on air b n b .It's 3 bedrooms ,one room is study space ,2 bathrooms, underground car parking,gym,sauna etc

I am completely new to air b n b and general renting.Is there any basics I should know .
        Ive read some terms...
        14-05-2022, 22:19 PM
      • Reply to Air b n b question
        by jpkeates
        Have you checked your lease will allow this use?

Have you checked any mortgage on the property will allow this use?

Does your local authority limit how many days properties can be let in any one year?

Why have you decided to let your property when you know that...
        15-05-2022, 09:33 AM
      Working...
      X