Kitchens in three storey house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchens in three storey house

We're setting up a new HMO at the moment in a three floor house,. Its not massive - 5 bedrooms and will only let singles rent the rooms so max 5 occupants, three bathrooms and one large kitchen/diner/lounge. But one bedroom is in the loft, so two floors from the communal kitchen. I notice in the standards that it says "Each kitchen shall not be more than one floor distance from any room(s) occupied by the person(s) for whom they are provided". I hadn't wanted to make the loft room into a studio as we were aiming for a nice friendly shared house with good professional tenants, but I'm guessing that I will have to? Or is there any way around this clause please? If I have to, what's the minimum kitchen I need to provide to be considered compliant? Thanks

Can you please clarify which standards give the information about the kitchen?

I used to run two 7 bedroom HMOs which were configured just as you describe. My HMOs were inspected several times by the Local Authority and my ground floor kitchens were never questioned. There is a formula for working out the size of the kitchen workspace and the level of equipment needed in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Can you please clarify which standards give the information about the kitchen?
      Its from the housing act 2004 - i found it on the Lambeth space standards, clause I in this document: https://beta.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/de...lodgings_0.pdf and also here https://www.dashservices.org.uk/Medi...itiesSpace.pdf though I've been unable to find it in the housing act itself.

Comment

I used to speak directly with the Local Council Private Rental dept who were usually very helpful. I can't speak for Lambeth but they do give number for queries.

You have only one room which exceeds the ' more than one floor' distance rule and it would seem reasonable to ask for that one room to be excluded from the rule.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X