HMO Fire Door Openers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO Fire Door Openers

I have had fire doors fitted but the carpenter didn’t install any door closing mechanisms. Can I please have some advice on which type of closers I can use please?

I have the Taurus architrave on my doors.

Thanks in advance.

Regulations - in my area, at least - specify overhead closers i.e. hydraulic. They are widely available. I would advise getting the type with adjustable closing speed. These have two adjustment screws on the end.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

My main confusion with these is how do I fit the bit to the door frame when it isn’t even. My architrave is a Torus effect (has a rippled moulding)

Comment

The ''foot" which attaches to the doorframe on the type I have been using will rotate, so the surface it attaches to does not necessarily have to be parallel to the face of the door.

If necessary, to give it a flat surface to attach to, maybe square off a short length of architrave with a chisel?
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

As said chisel out a section just big enough to take the foot, it's common practice where the frame isn't flat. (Look at others that have already been fitted somewhere, say your local pub).

PS. Don't be to keen adjusting the closing and opening strengths, especially if the doors are in constant use such as bedroom doors in a HMO, or doors on a communal passage.
          Set them fairly stiff, slow to do the final closing, to start with because the mecahnism 'beds-in' and becomes easier after a couple of weeks use.
          If you set them too slack to start with then they will start closing with a bang after a couple of weeks use.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.
            I have Toolstation and Screwfix down the road from me. Do you recommend any particular type of closer?

Comment

They are all much the same in use and adjustment, so whatever style/look you fancy for your budget.
              You might want a nicer looking covered one if they are for bedroom doors, but your choice in the end.
              Just take a look on the Screwfix and Toolstation websites and pick what you fancy.

The different 'sizes' are for different widths and weights of doors, then there is what side of the door it's on (push or pull) , etc.
              Here's a guide to selection but size 3.
              https://doorcontrolsdirect.co.uk/blo...er-handy-guide

I think the last ones I fitted were Brition 121's, (That was to two pub interior doors).

Another tip- Don't trust any paper template that comes for marking the mounting holes on the door, if there is one then check it to the actual screw holes in the unit.

Comment

The last fire doors we had fitted were supplied with handles, locks and hinges.
                The hinges were a self closing type which has a sort of angled hinge, they worked well, but on inspection by the council they rejected them stating we had to fit hydraulic overhead closures.
                At least with the hydraulic ones you can adjust them to soft close,,,, no more slamming doors

Comment

Also, ensure your fitter actually fitted the Fire Doors correctly - it's not the same as hanging a door in the lounge.

Triple-hinged, fire seals etc
                  My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X