Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andybenw
    replied
    JPKeates is correct. But, as there's a slight argument on definitions here's a more literal interpretation of the legalities:

By the rules 2 (or more) households is always an HMO regardless of any numbers of occupants. However, there is an exemption from applying the regulations for 2 single people living together. Also there is an exemption for owner occupiers(not tenants) who can have up to 2 lodgers.

As in this case there is 2 or more households, and there are no exemptions which apply, then it is definitely an HMO.

It is not mandatory licensable as there are less than 5 occupants, but as already stated, the council may have additional licensing in place which would necessitate a licence (very common in student areas). Also, there may be a requirement for planning permission if an article 4 direction is in place.(this is common in areas with many HMO's where the council wants to discourage more).

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    I think the difference you are referring to is whether it needs an HMO licence. There is a standard definition of HMO and then there are differing licensing requirements of different local authorities.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Neelix View Post
    2nd line. Read my response ....
    In which case I think you're wrong.

Three people in more than one household is an HMO (regardless of the local authority policy) and the basic HMO regulations apply (again, the local authority might have additional requirements over and above the national regulations - but the minimum set always apply.)

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    What part don't you agree with?
    2nd line. Read my response ....

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Neelix View Post
    not sure I agree with that
    What part don't you agree with?

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    That's 4 unrelated people in two households, so it will be an HMO.
    It will have to follow the basic HMO regulations as a result.

It may need a licence if your local authority have an extended licencing program in place.
    not sure I agree with that.

Councils apply different numbers so you need to start by seeing what your local council state

Leave a comment:

• cj220390
    replied

It may need a licence if your local authority have an extended licencing program in place.
    Hey thanks for the reply

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cj220390
    started a topic Do I need HMO?

Do I need HMO?

Would I need a HMO for two brothers, one of which is sharing with his girlfriend, and another friend?? 4 people in 3 rooms. Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X