HMOs...The Inspectors are coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMOs...The Inspectors are coming.

I have today received an email telling landlords in Sandwell that inspectors are out looking at HMOs and issuing £1,000 fines for each breach of regulations. The blog links to the council website where it explains the rules and expectations clearly.

Whilst this does not affect me ( I sold up in Sandwell a while ago) I always enjoyed working with Sandwell Private Housing team who had a proactive relationship with the landlord community despite being one of the smaller and poorer councils and felt that other larger and better resourced councils should follow their example in many of the things they did. In conversation with one of their inspectors a while ago I found it interesting that they preferred that landlords seek their advice and if their properties are found wanting they preferred they were fixed rather that the council immediately take legal action.

Sadly I believe that legal action has to be taken by councils in some cases otherwise landlords may not take their responsibilities seriously and one prosecution sends a strong message to those who disregard safety and standards.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X