How soon after setting up an HMO do you have to apply for a licence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the local authority and the HMO.
    Usually before you start letting.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Where I live it’s a minimum of 8 weeks from the applicant providing all the information required .

as I understand it, you can’t let before it’s approved

Comment

Can I ask if there is a mortgage on the property , if yes have you established whether your lender will allow for this and furthermore advised the Insurance Company. of your intentions. I ask this as I do come across prospective clients who believe that they can do as they like once the conventional BtL mortgage has been completed , this is wrong as if there is a need for a Mandatory License , the Local Authority will notify your lender so always best to be ahead of the curve.

Comment

That's an interesting point because where local authority's have changed the criteria to turn a normal BTL into an HMO it is impossible to ask prior consent of mortgagee or insurer.

Comment

I agree , however as per the first part of my response , there is nothing which prohibits making an enquiry as to whether the lenders criteria extends to HMO's , if the response is negative and it is intended that three or more persons ,of a non family unit will occupy then the decision is to either keep the property in its existing form of a family let or remortgage to a lender whose criteria accommodates HMO's.

Comment

It depends. I have a 5 bed HMO in which I was only letting 4 beds so I didn't have to license it. It was already inspected by the council. I decided to let it as 5 beds, told the council and applied for the licence. The council came round again and OK'd it. You have to be a responsible person to let a HMO.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X