Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self managing landlord and shielding

Good afternoon,

I rent room by room to professionals, usually hospital and university staff.

How are shielding landlord/managers like myself conducting viewings and maintaining their properties? Are you taking the financial hit on the chin and paying someone to do this for you?

I have allowed voids for 3 months but financially can't manage any longer without filling these rooms. I don't have a mortgage, so breaks aren't an option.

I don't think there's an easy answer to this and it really depends on how vulnerable you are. You can make viewings safer by opening windows etc. I've been paying for things I'd normally do myself but they haven't been big jobs. Money is no good to you if you're dead.

Comment

Talk to your local council.
      They have been allocated funds to support people in hardship as a result of Coronavirus who don't get support through another route.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you. I wasn't aware that the council could help. My brother in law has just offered to conduct viewings as he's a fully vaccinated doctor. It's difficult asking for help when you're used to being self reliant though.

Comment

I can't imagine the council will stretch to helping out paying mortgages for investment properties.

Comment

I don't have a mortgage, but my income is now down by 50% and unless I do the work needed to re-let rooms I'll be seriously struggling, meaning I can't shield. I'm fortunate that my brother in law will conduct viewings but the rest is down to me, either physically or financially. As royw said above, money is no use to me if I'm dead.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X