Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing a fair use policy to an existing house share

Hello fellow landlords,

I rent out my place on a room to room basis with all bills included. There have been many occasions when visiting the property I have found the heating on full with all windows opened. I am trying to get my tenants to be more responsible. How can I introduce a fair use policy to the existing tenants? Would new contracts need to be drafted? Any advice on fair use policies would be much appreciated.

Thank you

You can try, but the existing tenants don't have to agree to new contracts (which is what would be required).
    And there's nothing in it for them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Here you go - sorted.

https://timeostat.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKC...xoCNq4QAvD_BwE

Many HMO landlords find that the heating bills are not their tenants top priority. The problem being, the heating is left on high while the tenants are out. Time stat central heating controls will cut heating bills dramatically.

Time stats are an easy to use tenant operated thermostats that cuts the heating off when a countdown timer runs out. Bills are kept to a minimum as the heating can not be left running. It is hassle free as the tenants control the heating without the bills running out of control.

With wired and wireless models the Time stat can easily retrofit and replace your current boilers room thermostat. Installation takes less than 30 minutes and has a host of useful features which can be set by the landlord at the point of installation.

Comment

landlord-man,

Thanks for that, will have a look

Comment

The programmable thermostats are a good idea and I fitted them to my properties. In reality if a tenant( just one ) is cold they will switch the heating on. If they can't do that they will plug in an electric fan heater. I have found the heating switched on in a 7 bedroom HIMO to dry one shirt on a radiator - and yes I did have a tumble drier free to use.

Comment

Inspire home landlord thermostat is the best i found to fit. Doesn't solve the windows problem tho.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X