form for tenant to agree to end tenancy with the agreement of the landlord

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    form for tenant to agree to end tenancy with the agreement of the landlord

    Hi everyone
    I need to know the form that is used for a tenant to agree to leave his tenancy earlier in agreement with the landlord.
    He is on a a AST for one year and is 10 months into his contract
    Basically I am offering to return rent in order to help him to leave, as there might well be a murder in the household if I do not.
    I hope for an answer
    all the best

    You need a deed of surrender.

    Lawcruncher provided an example, here..
    - and requests a donation to a cancer charity if used.

    To be signed by both parties AFTER tenant was left property, with all his goods, and returned keys.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      The main thing is that you agree it.
      Presuming it's a contract between the landlord and that individual, as long as they both agree it and the terms on which it ends, that's enough.

      Obviously, if one of the two then disagrees with the other's interpretation of what was agreed, there can be issues.

      That's where a deed of surrender can help - you sign and agree this as the tenant moves out (having handed possession back).
      Obviously its sensible to have agreed the terms beforehand.

      Here's a good one created by one of the finest members of the forum: -
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Many thanks to you both for your help.


          This assumes he has a room only tenancy if course . If he is part of a joint tenancy then its a bit more complicated.


            Hi DPT57
            yes, he does. It is a bit complicated as I am havng to sign mine in Austria and then send it over for him to sign so the dates are different but hoping it will be okay.


              It probably wouldn't strictly qualify as a deed as they can't really be signed in advance. However, if you have reasonable confidence that the tenant isn't going to later try to challenge on a technicality then its probably fine. Even if they did later challenge, I think you would be very unluckly if the tenant won the argument in court as their signature on a surrender document is a pretty clear intention to end the tenancy.


              Latest Activity


              • 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by nukecad
                Sorry for a rambling post, but it's a bit of a rambling situation.

                Our property is classed as an HMO, and so the LL is responsible for the council tax.

                You could probably skip this but let's give the full story:
                When we moved in ten years ago there were...
                08-08-2020, 13:06 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by doobrey
                1. I don't think there was any suggestion that the tenancy might be lost over this issue, whatever the outcome of the council tax question.
                2. It's still an HMO as far as I can see, in which case there is nothing to call the council about....
                09-08-2020, 15:48 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by Delectable1
                In other words you're happy to risk loosing this tenancy for the sake of two phone calls; one to update the council that you live there lone and another to inform then it's no longer the case.

                If the LL doesn't want the hassle, he should advertise the whole property for rent as one uni...
                09-08-2020, 11:51 AM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by DPT57
                There are two definitions of an HMO. The council tax definition in the Local Government Finance Act 1992 is different to the Housing Act 2004 definition. When there were 3 people living there it met the test for both, but as soon as the 3rd person moved out it stopped being a Housing Act HMO, but continued...
                09-08-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by doobrey
                There are different criteria for different things (council tax, planning, licence).

                Letting to a single household is a change of use from C4 to C3. This was recently discussed on another thread. As per that discussion this is a permitted development so I believe there is no requirement...
                09-08-2020, 07:15 AM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by nukecad
                Yes, DPT57, that's the way I'm looking at it.

                The council is currently happy that CT is being paid, I'm not bothered either way, my LL would prefer not to have to pay the CT himself but that's his matter to sort out if he can.

                TBH I currently have a 3 bedroom, 400 y/o, property...
                08-08-2020, 22:56 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by DPT57
                In the absence of anything written, the Council have obviously interpreted this as 3 x room only tenancies rather than a joint tenancy. I think thats probably a reasonable interpretation if the landlord deals with each person's rent separately. This may even be the default tenancy type for shared accommodation...
                08-08-2020, 18:37 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by nukecad
                Thanks for your replies.

                The only issue as I see it is that If/when the sharer comes back after covid it is going to make things complicated at the council.
                And let's face it we all know they are not the sharpest knives in the box.

                From my point of view best left as it...
                08-08-2020, 17:06 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by jpkeates
                I'd have thought that your landlord would simply have to tell the council of the change in circumstances and then you'd have to claim the exemption.
                Or, most likely, you could probably do both at the same (very long) time.
                08-08-2020, 15:30 PM
              • Reply to 'Declassify' a small HMO?
                by doobrey
                I think it would remain an HMO unless you had occupation of the whole property.

                08-08-2020, 15:29 PM