Who can do weekly smoke alarm checks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who can do weekly smoke alarm checks?

Weekly smoke & carbon monoxide alarms along with monthly emergency lighting can be carried out by a competent person.
    Can this be a tenant and does anyone have this arrangement? Could be a useful arrangement if properties are located far away or you're away.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

If the tenant was a competent person and your arrangement binding, (eg a contract where the tenant is remunerated) then it may be possible for a tenant to do this. The HMO Manager, (probably you) would remain responsible so you would need evidence that it was being done and it would probably be wise to have an annual/periodic maintenance contract with a professional company for extra back-up.

Comment

Seems excessive to be checking this so frequently especially if it is hard wired. If this is the case you should maintain a log otherwise there's no evidence it was conducted.

Comment

Although it seems excessive, for non panel alarms it's follow manufacturers instructions for testing and most alarms instructions are to test weekly.

Renting out a whole property I'd expect the lead tenant to take on this responsibility and I'd put it in the rental agreement with them named. Renting room by room I'd expect the HMO manager or his representative to do it.

Comment

Get a 'Nest' and they test themselves, don't they?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X