2nd licence as old one expired on 2 story HMO 4 rooms total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd licence as old one expired on 2 story HMO 4 rooms total

Hi all, the LA has been granted continuation of the scheme. This time round they are asking for a fire risk assessment and detail of service agreement for automatic fire detection (AFD) system. anyone else come across this? When I converted the property some 10 years ago I installed fire doors and frames, the fire/ heat detectors are mains with battery back up and interlinked. On each renewal of tenancy the detectors are tested and also the tenants are instructed to carry out a test weekly. Seems a bit OTT for a small HMO. Another case of LL being pushed out the market?

A fire risk assessment has always been mandatory for any HMO (licensed or not) so providing a copy shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi, council inspected last time around as part of the application maybe they carried it out as I did not have one done. LA cutbacks no doubt, strange that the price has gone up by quite some margin yet less "value" in the service.

Comment

You (or whoever is managing the HMO) have to have a fire risk assessment and the property should be modified in line with its recommendations.

It's not an optional thing and the council won't have done it for you.

Sounds like the council are stepping up their enforcement game.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think they can probably require landlords to maintain the detection/alarm system in working condition and they're using a maintenance contract as a proxy for this. If you can evidence that its in full working order in some other way then you could probably offer that instead. However, this may involve testing all component parts of the system such as heat detection, smoke detection all at the recommended thresholds etc. In the end it might be easier and cheaper to just have a maintenance contract.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X