X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by mkdons View Post
    I thought since the property is being changed from a 4-bed to a 6-bed hmo within the same C4 use class planning would not be required.
    You are right. As long as it has the requisite C4 status, you can extend it from four residents to six residents.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    You may be right.

Leave a comment:

• mkdons
    replied
    I thought since the property is being changed from a 4-bed to a 6-bed hmo within the same C4 use class planning would not be required.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I think that the answer is probably no, (although I'm not certain). However, if you were planning to have more than 6 people in the property, then you would need planning consent regardless of the Article 4 Directive, as it would be a sui generis HMO.

Leave a comment:

• mkdons
    started a topic Article 4-Changing existing HMO

Article 4-Changing existing HMO

I have a 4 bedroom house in tower hamlets which I am currently renting with an additional hmo licence. I have just found out that an article 4 direction for hmo's is starting at the beginning of 2021. Would I be able to extend the property to create additional rooms and then rent these out without planning permission after 2021?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Hazard awareness notice
    by Richarddavid
    I have a 4 bedroom HMO and have been served a Hazard Awareness Notice from an Enforcement Officer from a local authority. I have completed half the list so far but the council is adamant that I complete the rest asap and require a completion date.

I have a few of questions:
    23-09-2020, 11:39 AM
  • Reply to Hazard awareness notice
    by Jon66
    Can you not stay in the property overnight? Is there not a communal area you can put an airbed and a sleeping bag?
    23-09-2020, 20:38 PM
    by flyingfreehold
    I am pleased to say I have not come across a Hazard Awareness Notice and was curious enough to look up what this actually means. This is off some website called Landlord Advice UK and I have no idea how accurate is their advice. It seems to be a bit like what used to be called a "minded to"...
    23-09-2020, 19:32 PM
    by gnvqsos
    | think AL above talks great sense.You are realising the risks of letting property when
    1.you are an absentee by distance
    2.you are at an age where hard work becomes irksome
    3.you have no contengency funds to finance essential works.
    You could claim that Covid precludes all but...
    23-09-2020, 17:42 PM
    by theartfullodger
    That you live some way away and are 62 is fundamentally your decision, doesn;t change your responsibilities. Likewise insufficient funds.

Wonder if insurers would pay out if there's an unsatisfied hazard notice & you've no plan for fixing. i.e. be careful.

Artful, 72, 505...
    23-09-2020, 15:56 PM
    by DPT57
    I would be inclined to write back to the Council saying that in light of the situation with covid19, you are unable to give them a date when the work will be completed. As you say, a hazard awareness notice is not in itself enforceable. It may be possible for them to escalate the notice to one that...
    23-09-2020, 14:08 PM
  • Reply to Double or single occupancy rooms
    by DPT57
    If you're going to the trouble and expense of converting a large property to be run as an HMO then why not seek planning consent for a larger HMO, (assuming the licensing dept licenses you for more than 6 people)? As has been said, you will find that tenants move their friends or partners in to help...
    23-09-2020, 13:39 PM
  • Double or single occupancy rooms
    by Zcars
    Hi;

I'm currently in the process of converting a house for HMO. I'm going for a maximum of 6 people as i won't need planning permission. Although i can convert to 6 individual rooms (5 large with en-suite and one small double that will use the existing bathroom)...are people renting to...
    23-09-2020, 06:00 AM
  • Reply to help accidental landlord hmo question
    by DPT57
    That's very defeatest. You can easily find out exactly when the Article 4 directive came into force from the Council website and use your first tenancy agreement to show that it was let before this if ever challenged, (which I've never heard of by the way). Having said that, I doubt you're doing all...
    23-09-2020, 13:33 PM
  • help accidental landlord hmo question
    by KING DADDY
    just found the hmo section so will add this question here

Hi - I have been trying to get a sensible answer from the city council and keep going round in circles, so I thought I should ask some strangers on the internet who would at least bother to have a go at giving me some advice!...
    15-09-2020, 19:11 PM
Working...
X