Not a landlord but being forced to comply to HMO

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Not a landlord but being forced to comply to HMO


    new here. My partner and I purchase a property a year ago. The main building at the front is a converted Victorian house with three flats all let out by three separate owners.

    our property is at the rear and is a maisonette with no shared access to the main building.

    we do not rent and purchased this as our main residence to live in full time.

    After a few months we were notified by the council that we would now be part of an HMO and need to fit things to property.

    my partner is disabled and mentally unwell so we are on benefits and I am a full time carer. So we have a full Telicare package with heat detectors etc 24 hour monitoring. So as far as I am concerned we are fully covered.

    But the other owners have now advised that I will need to fill in an application at a cost of £620 for a HMO that I do not need.

    Can anyone give some advice. I am trying to look after a partner and this is causing her huge stress


    Sounds like nonsense to me. Could you ask the council EHO to visit to confirm?


      Think this is likely to be a S257 HMO. See
      Section 257 HMOs

      Where a building or part of a building has been converted into, and consists wholly of, self-contained flats, it will be an HMO if:[10]
      • the standard of the conversion does not meet that required by the Building Regulations 1991 or 2000 (whichever were in force at the time of the conversion), and
      • fewer than two-thirds of the flats are owner-occupied. Owner-occupiers are those with a lease of more than 21 years or who own the freehold in the converted block of flats, or a member of the household of the person who is the owner.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        These costs need to be borne by those renting out the properties. I would simply decline to pay. There should be no consequence to you as any restrictions on letting that arise wknt apply.


          Who (in general terms) is the freeholder for the main building? They are the people responsible for licence, although the costs may be recoverable from the service charges.

          If you are the freeholder, you very definitely are a landlord.


          Latest Activity