HMO I live in has Zero Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    The only thing missing from your list is the under floor insulation.
    I have a 1910 end of terrace which has a C rating. As well as the above the existing internal plaster was removed and replaced with thermal board. The house was empty for over a year and the costs could not be justified on an investment basis alone.

The house looked almost exactly the same when it was finished, but now I have no complaints from the tenants and it re-lets pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

the costs could not be justified on an investment basis alone.
      Unless you're planning to move into it at some point, what other basis is there for a BTL property?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        but now I have no complaints from the tenants
        I've never had any complaints from my tenants. I've just improved the property when I'd saved enough to do it.

According to the EPC, I'd need to spend between £14,000 to £29,000, to save the tenant £600 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post

According to the EPC, I'd need to spend between £14,000 to £29,000, to save the tenant £600 a year.
          I spent the higher amount on my property. As it had an attic room I had to insulate the roof itself to make it liveable and I upgraded everything else at the same time. The OP can solve his problem by laying down rolls of insulation in the roof space.

Comment

Feeling cold? Wear more clothes. You can get thermal undies in Asda. Job done!

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
              Why bother with that when you can just turn the thermostat up & let the landlord pay the bills?

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                Wow! Thank you! I can see why Landlords are so adored by the nation with such a constructive reply.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarandjo View Post

Wow! Thank you! I can see why Landlords are so adored by the nation with such a constructive reply.
                  It's worth a try - better than being cold and whinging about the bills.

Comment

I am not trying to be unconstructive but your best bet long term probably is to relocate. In the meantime you can look up on this register the energy performance of the house in which you have a room. If there is no EPC or it scored below E you could have a bit of leverage over your landlord as he - or she - would stand to be heavily fined https://www.epcregister.com/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X