Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i Need to Change the Stairs on an HMO property

Hi all,
    I am looking at buying an older property which was originally set up as an HMO but has been empty for a long time. I would like to keep it as an HMO but am concerned about the stairs on the second floor. They are narrow and without a banister rail.
    I have heard conflicting advise about whether i have to change the stairs and fit a rail.

Could someone advise what is the actual law on this please ?

Are they fully enclosed, just without a hand rail, or are they open on one side? If open on one side, I think you would fail a fire risk assessment.

I don't think there is any specific law, other than the requirement that people be protected from falls, and the level of requirement for that will depend on the nature of the tenants.

Comment

Thank you.
      The stairs are enclosed by a wall each side. However the tread is very narrow and that is the main concern as i dont really want to replace the staircase ...

Comment

Get a fire risk assessment done, that would give you a fairly definitive answer.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You may find that you cannot replace them with a wider tread as that would mean that the rise becomes too high for building regs unless you have the space to extend the whole staircase to accomdate the increased tread width.
          Stairs are restricted on 'going', 'rise', and overall angle for new installations. There are exceptions when replacing like-for-like.

Approved document K applies to new and replacement staiways:
          https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ion_and_impact

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X