Hmo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I still classed as an owner occupier if I take in a lodger or a friend comes to live with me temporarily?

Comment

Yes, of course. You are the owner-occupier unless you give up possession of the property.

Comment

If you are owner occupier you are exempt from HMO rules if you take in up to two lodgers as has been said before.

If the building is a section 257 HMO then that's for the building freeholder to worry about not you as a leaseholder, however it's unlikely to be much more onerous than meeting the Fire Safety Order would already be if the building were not a section 257.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
          Yes, of course. You are the owner-occupier unless you give up possession of the property.
          Is this 100%? Does anyone else agree or disagree with this statement?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dazvader View Post

Is this 100%? Does anyone else agree or disagree with this statement?

Thanks
            What other status could you have? A lodger is a licensee not an assured tenant and a friend is just a guest so neither has a legal interest in the land and you remain the owner occupier

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Painting in a HMO house
              stuart123
              Hi,
              I have a four bed HMO house let to four professionals, looking to paint the house and also plaster where required for the complete house, this will take 5 to 7 days to complete the work.
              All the tenants were fine and cooperative, except one tenant, who has changed his shift from morning...
              17-09-2019, 12:48 PM
            • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
              amy131
              Plastering and painting aren't noisy jobs. I would just make sure that those doing the work are aware there may be someone sleeping so they don't put a radio on and take care when moving around any furniture etc. Provided tenants have notice of the works they should accept the communal areas need to...
              19-09-2019, 20:05 PM
            • Referencing
              Cupola
              Hi all,

Completely new landlord here, we have a 4 bed house which we have struggled to sell, so have decided to rent rooms out. We are moving out and it will be rented to 4 individuals. We have been in touch with the council and they've written back formally saying we don't need planning...
              19-09-2019, 12:35 PM
            • Reply to Referencing
              loanarranger
              On what basis is the property owned. You state you have moved out , is the property subject to a residential mortgage, if yes have you obtained a Consent to Let , if not do so immediately or arrange a Buy to Let Mortgage ; also have you notified your insurance company that the property is vacant , usually...
              19-09-2019, 20:00 PM
            • Reply to Referencing
              DPT57
              I don't mean to be rude, but you sound very green and I would not advise you to even consider letting the property until either you have appointed a good agent who will take care of everything for you, (not easy finding a good one) or done a crash course on landlording, perhaps by joining one of the...
              19-09-2019, 18:29 PM
              AndrewDod
              Do nothing. Don't paint....
              18-09-2019, 22:02 PM
              stuart123
              Thanks all. Not sure what to do little bit confused about the situation.
              18-09-2019, 18:19 PM
            • Lockable electric timer
              steve1505
              Not for the first time I have had complaints about one or other tenant in a 5 bed HMO when they have decided that it is acceptable to turn the washing machine on in the middle of the night. I think the best option is if I fit some sort of timer so that the machine can only be used during predetermined...
              11-09-2019, 20:56 PM
            • Reply to Lockable electric timer
              Berlingogirl
              Have a word with all of them and explain if it happens again they must complain to the person doing it....
              18-09-2019, 07:41 AM
              Berlingogirl
              I wouldn't bother doing the work. Paper over the cracks. Bit of magnolia emulsion. Job done.
              18-09-2019, 07:35 AM
            Working...
            X