Hmo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmo?

I live in a converted flat in a large 3 storey Victorian building split into several blocks. There is a below street level cellar, used solely for storage and then a ground floor a first floor and a second floor. My flat occupies one floor only and the entrance to the building is on a different floor so I use the communal stairway to get to my front door. If I took in 2 lodgers am I classed as an HMO or does my actual flat need to be split across more than one storey.

Thanks

What sort of lease do you have for the flat?

The number of storeys is irrelevant to whether it is an HMO, and is no longer relevant to whether it is licensable.

Depending on the the tenure of the other flats, and when it was converted, the whole building might be a section 257 HMO.

Comment

It was converted 40+ years ago. My lease is a 999 year lease. There are 5 flats, one currently for sale, one rented and 3 owner/occupied

Comment

If you rent the property and take in two lodgers, you will create an HMO.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As your lease is a long lease, and you have less that three lodgers, your flat is not an HMO.

Is the flat for sale occupied by the seller? If not, the building part is a section 257 HMO. If it is, it may not be, but is likely to become one when it is sold.

Comment

Thanks awfully

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X