Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short-term let (Air BnB, Booking.com) occupancy rates

Hi all,

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I have used the incorrect forum.

I am beginning to pull together an opportunity in the Bournemouth area to sublet an apartment on a HMO basis (shared bathroom and kitchen facilities) using outlets such as AirBnB, I am interested to find out more with regards to these types of ventures, the main thing I would like to know right now is the expected occupancy rates of these places so I can begin to draw up some rough financials. I understand that this rate will vary a lot depending on region, type of property, time of year, etc.

As an open question, does anybody own a property that operates like this and has any advice, furthermore what level of occupancy do you have year-round?

Do you know of any resources/methods I could use to get a better understanding of how often these short-term let rooms are occupied?

Have you checked that your lease permits this?

Comment

If you are the tenant you could be invalidating the landlords insurance, breaching his mortgage terms or his lease, not to mention the terms of your own tenancy. Also bear in mind that Bournemouth has an Article 4 Directive covering the whole (former) borough, so you would need planning consent to operate it as an HMO which you would be unlikely to get.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        Also bear in mind that Bournemouth has an Article 4 Directive covering the whole (former) borough, so you would need planning consent to operate it as an HMO which you would be unlikely to get.
        Wherever you are (even if there isn't an Article 4 direction) you'd need sui generis planning status (or possibly C1 planning status) if they are room-by-room short lets. It wouldn't be C4 as that requires the property to be the main residence of the tenant, and it wouldn't be C3 as that requires the occupants to be a household.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post

Wherever you are (even if there isn't an Article 4 direction) you'd need sui generis planning status (or possibly C1 planning status) if they are room-by-room short lets. It wouldn't be C4 as that requires the property to be the main residence of the tenant, and it wouldn't be C3 as that requires the occupants to be a household.
          Good point about probably not being a change to C4, although I assume anything else would be even harder to get. I suppose it might depend where it is and how many HMOs per sq km there are, (or whatever measure they use). Springbourne, Boscome or the town centre are probably out of the question as there are already too many in those areas.

Comment

It can't be an HMO, because no one will have it as their main residence.
            It's essentially going to be a hotel or hostel - so it will require planning permission for a change of use, because it's going to be a commercial property not residential (and I think you'd be lucky to get it if the area is residential).

From a business model point of view, I can't see people on AirBnB looking for facilities shared with strangers.
            Sharing with a home owner for a few nights is one thing, sharing with a group of random people who are constantly changing is another.
            I'm certainly no expert, though, and that might be a personal prejudice speaking.

AirBnB might be able to assist.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              From a business model point of view, I can't see people on AirBnB looking for facilities shared with strangers.
              Sharing with a home owner for a few nights is one thing, sharing with a group of random people who are constantly changing is another.
              I'm certainly no expert, though, and that might be a personal prejudice speaking.
              I've stayed at an AirBnB similar to what is described. It was essentially just like staying at a small hotel, albeit without there being any staff permanently on site. It felt quite normal. But as above, I entirely agree that it'd either be C1 or sui generis use class.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X