Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to submit the HMO licence application form

Hello,

I currently plan to start renovating a house as a 5 bedroom HMO in Liverpool.
    the house is vacant and needs full refurbishment.
    I've received a building regulation control approval to start the construction work.

1. When should I submit the HMO licence application form to the council? before, during or after the construction work?
    2. How long does it usually take to get approval/rejection for HMO licence once the form submitted ?
    3. Does the HMO council team visit the property to inspect the work goes according to the details described in the application form? similar to the building regulation control team?

Thank you,

Zvi

Have you been in touch with the HMO team? It would be good to get them on side from the start as there may be specific requirements that it will be much easier to accommodate at this point than further down the road. I take it you're property is not in an Article 4 directive area?

Comment

1. You can submit the application as soon as you have the information which is needed for you to do so. However, councils will often require items like electricity and gas certificates, EPC, etc. to be appended to your application, which will only be available towards the end of a major refurbishment (if you submit without these when they've asked for them they are likely to autoreject it and possibly even charge you an additional fee!).
      2. This is massively variable -- where a council has just implemented new licensing schemes which create an enormous backlog it has been known to take up to two years, otherwise it can take as little as a few weeks. Generally councils recognise that it'd be unreasonable to expect landlords to leave their HMOs empty while waiting for their licence to be processed so they allow you to let the property from the moment you submit the application. If you need a licence for a remortgage (lenders will often require it to have been issued by completion of the remortgage) you may well be able to persuade the council to put your application to the top of the pile, but it might require a letter from your mortgage broker or lender to confirm.
      3. Usually they will do an inspection, but again it depends on the council and sometimes even the applicant (some councils have a form of trusted landlord or trusted agent scheme, or take other types of property accreditation which might be in place into account). Some councils (perhaps in particular where they have a backlog?) will even do the inspection after issuing the licence.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
        My property is not in an Article 4 directive area.
        JamesHopeful wrote: "However, councils will often require items like electricity and gas certificates, EPC, etc. to be appended to your application, which will only be available towards the end of a major refurbishment (if you submit without these when they've asked for them they are likely to autoreject it and possibly even charge you an additional fee!). "

- That's the reason i asked the question, I've notice that in the application form they require information that can only be obtained at the end of the refurbishment. so according to JamesHopeful i'll sure to be rejected !
        How can i make sure i can use the property as HMO from the moment i submit the application? it's not clear from liverpool council website.
        I've send an email to the HMO department but it takes forever for them to reply....

Comment

Originally posted by itayshap View Post
          - That's the reason i asked the question, I've notice that in the application form they require information that can only be obtained at the end of the refurbishment. so according to JamesHopeful i'll sure to be rejected !
          How can i make sure i can use the property as HMO from the moment i submit the application? it's not clear from liverpool council website.
          I've send an email to the HMO department but it takes forever for them to reply....
          The vast majority of people would just start letting it as soon as they've applied for the licence without bothering to formally check, but if you want confirmation that that's OK you will need to get an answer from the council.

Comment

Check whether Liverpool publish their HMO licence criteria online as that will help with planning the refurb

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X