Hi is this classed as a hmo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi is this classed as a hmo

Hi If I rent out a property to two couples who are freinds plus a cousin of one of the couples is this ok or will this mean i have created a hmo

It is not just an HMO, it is subject to mandatory licensing, unless it is flat in a block of at least three flats.

Comment

Do you mean let to four people A, B, C and D. A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and C are cousins?
      Or do you mean let to five people A, B, C, D and E, A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and E are cousins?

In the first case it is not a HMO
      In the second case it is a HMO that requires licensing.

Comment

Hi Thanks for clarifying this If I remove the cousin and rent to the two couples (unrelated just freinds) does that change anything or is it still a HMO

Comment

Sill a HMO, but may not require licensing.

HMO = 3 or more persons in two or more households.

See S258 Housing Act 2004 to determine what is a household.

Comment

In That instance who would be responsible for council tax landlord or tenants. If classed as a hmo thanks

Comment

The HMO rules for an HMO are slightly different than the HMO rules for letting.

If there is more than one household and there is no joint tenancy agreement for all of the occupants, the landlord is responsible for the council tax.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Painting in a HMO house
                stuart123
                Hi,
                I have a four bed HMO house let to four professionals, looking to paint the house and also plaster where required for the complete house, this will take 5 to 7 days to complete the work.
                All the tenants were fine and cooperative, except one tenant, who has changed his shift from morning...
                17-09-2019, 12:48 PM
              • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
                DPT57
                Quite possibly, but I guess leaving one bedroom to be painted at a later date may be a reasonable compromise for the moment.
                23-09-2019, 10:36 AM
                leaseholder64
                I assumed the OP was painting the rooms, as well.
                21-09-2019, 13:41 PM
                DPT57
                Assuming these are room only tenancies then they have no rights over communal areas or exterior unless you've given it to them contractually. Harassment issues aside, the tenant cant prevent you from doing the work....
                21-09-2019, 06:50 AM
              • Referencing
                Cupola
                Hi all,

Completely new landlord here, we have a 4 bed house which we have struggled to sell, so have decided to rent rooms out. We are moving out and it will be rented to 4 individuals. We have been in touch with the council and they've written back formally saying we don't need planning...
                19-09-2019, 12:35 PM
              • Reply to Referencing
                leaseholder64
                The HMO definition triggers a need to manage it in certain ways, including additional fire safety, but doesn't trigger a need for licence. Councils may have Additional Licensing, in which case you will need one for three or four people. However to absolutely require a licence, a house or converted...
                20-09-2019, 23:08 PM
              • Reply to Referencing
                Mogino
                Best to use a tenant assessment company to do all the reference checking. I would not recommend accepting any references direct from a prospective tenant.
                Referencing companies charge a modest fee per tenant, and its well worth it. I can recommend one to you if you PM me.
                You will need to...
                20-09-2019, 22:46 PM
              • Reply to Referencing
                AlexR
                As you are letting the rooms yourself you decide what is the best background checks to make for the type of tenants you wish to have in your house. If you are taking out tenant rent insurance you will need to comply with their terms but the main area that I checked were:

1. Employed - take...
                20-09-2019, 09:25 AM
              • Reply to Referencing
                Cupola
                Good morning

Thanks for your replies, I don't mean to sound rude, but DPT57 we will live very local to the property and have decided to manage it ourselves, as I've already, said, we have done extensive research into all aspects, I know how to reference, I just wanted first hand personal...
                20-09-2019, 05:24 AM
                amy131
                Plastering and painting aren't noisy jobs. I would just make sure that those doing the work are aware there may be someone sleeping so they don't put a radio on and take care when moving around any furniture etc. Provided tenants have notice of the works they should accept the communal areas need to...
                19-09-2019, 20:05 PM
              Working...
              X