X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lavy
    started a topic Hi is this classed as a hmo

Hi is this classed as a hmo

Hi If I rent out a property to two couples who are freinds plus a cousin of one of the couples is this ok or will this mean i have created a hmo

• jpkeates
    replied
    The HMO rules for an HMO are slightly different than the HMO rules for letting.

If there is more than one household and there is no joint tenancy agreement for all of the occupants, the landlord is responsible for the council tax.

Leave a comment:

• lavy
    replied
    In That instance who would be responsible for council tax landlord or tenants. If classed as a hmo thanks

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Sill a HMO, but may not require licensing.

HMO = 3 or more persons in two or more households.

See S258 Housing Act 2004 to determine what is a household.

Leave a comment:

• lavy
    replied
    Hi Thanks for clarifying this If I remove the cousin and rent to the two couples (unrelated just freinds) does that change anything or is it still a HMO

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Do you mean let to four people A, B, C and D. A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and C are cousins?
    Or do you mean let to five people A, B, C, D and E, A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and E are cousins?

In the first case it is not a HMO
    In the second case it is a HMO that requires licensing.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    It is not just an HMO, it is subject to mandatory licensing, unless it is flat in a block of at least three flats.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lockable electric timer
    steve1505
    Not for the first time I have had complaints about one or other tenant in a 5 bed HMO when they have decided that it is acceptable to turn the washing machine on in the middle of the night. I think the best option is if I fit some sort of timer so that the machine can only be used during predetermined...
    11-09-2019, 20:56 PM
  • Reply to Lockable electric timer
    JK0
    My hmo tenants have never complained about each other in nearly 20 years. Why?

Because I have one tenant, and she has lodgers. Thus petty arguments never come to my door. I recommend it.
    13-09-2019, 17:12 PM
  • 257 HMO - dependent on communal entrance?
    Advicee
    Hi,

I wonder if someone with more experience than me maybe able to help answer a 257 HMO question?

I own a flat in a share of freehold building. The building was originally 2 separate semi-detached houses which has been converted into 9 self-contained flats. There are two...
    12-09-2019, 10:00 AM
  • Reply to 257 HMO - dependent on communal entrance?
    DPT57
    You dont have to make it building regs compliant. It's mainly about fire safety. I have a couple of s257 HMOs and the only communal space is a 1m sq entrance lobby. I just had to consider the fire resistance of the 2 inner doors and the electrical consumer unit that was located there. You should be...
    13-09-2019, 13:27 PM
  • Reply to Lockable electric timer
    DPT57
    This sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and you can never win with this sort of arms race. I suggest you speak individually to each tenant. Ask if it was them, which they will ko doubt deny, but it doesnt matter. Leave them in no doubt that this will not be tolerated.
    13-09-2019, 12:48 PM
  • Hmo?
    Dazvader
    I live in a converted flat in a large 3 storey Victorian building split into several blocks. There is a below street level cellar, used solely for storage and then a ground floor a first floor and a second floor. My flat occupies one floor only and the entrance to the building is on a different floor...
    04-08-2019, 19:36 PM
  • Reply to Hmo?
    DPT57
    What other status could you have? A lodger is a licensee not an assured tenant and a friend is just a guest so neither has a legal interest in the land and you remain the owner occupier...
    13-09-2019, 12:44 PM
  • Reply to Hmo?
    Dazvader
    Is this 100%? Does anyone else agree or disagree with this statement?

Thanks...
    12-09-2019, 18:38 PM
    leaseholder64
    As, I think, already pointed out, the S257 ruling doesn't make much difference to fire safety costs, as complying with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order will have a similar result.

You shouldn't have large amounts in the communal funds unless (the lease allows a reserve/sinking...
    12-09-2019, 15:57 PM
    Advicee
    That is exactly the situation I find myself in - another owner has let their flat potentially tipping us into the 257 HMO category. The lease doesn't place any bans on letting, and neither should it, but through no fault of my own I may have to stump up many hundreds if not thousands to contribute to...
    12-09-2019, 14:34 PM
Working...
X