Hi is this classed as a hmo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi is this classed as a hmo

Hi If I rent out a property to two couples who are freinds plus a cousin of one of the couples is this ok or will this mean i have created a hmo

It is not just an HMO, it is subject to mandatory licensing, unless it is flat in a block of at least three flats.

Comment

Do you mean let to four people A, B, C and D. A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and C are cousins?
      Or do you mean let to five people A, B, C, D and E, A and B are one couple, C and D are a second couple, A and E are cousins?

In the first case it is not a HMO
      In the second case it is a HMO that requires licensing.

Comment

Hi Thanks for clarifying this If I remove the cousin and rent to the two couples (unrelated just freinds) does that change anything or is it still a HMO

Comment

Sill a HMO, but may not require licensing.

HMO = 3 or more persons in two or more households.

See S258 Housing Act 2004 to determine what is a household.

Comment

In That instance who would be responsible for council tax landlord or tenants. If classed as a hmo thanks

Comment

The HMO rules for an HMO are slightly different than the HMO rules for letting.

If there is more than one household and there is no joint tenancy agreement for all of the occupants, the landlord is responsible for the council tax.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X