Lock thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use a Horstmann timer. T can control the temperature without the heating being left on 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      How does the tenant then exercise their legal right to control the heating?
      Are you sure a lodger staying in the guest room has a legal right to set the temperature to 26 degrees 24/7 even while they're out, and leave all windows open to cool down the house, causing a monthly bill of over £400 that she refuses to contribute toward?

Surely the resident home owner would have a legal right to curb such unreasonable behaviour by either asking said tenant to pay for their own bills (instead of the "all bills included" arrangement which involved the home owner paying on the basis of reasonable use), lock the thermostat to within a reasonable range & timings, insist that she doesn't leave windows wide open 24/7 during winter, or kick her out.

Btw- it's been a long time since original post, and that particular lodger gave 1 month's notice to leave ages ago. With relief, it was gladly accepted. Only 1 week before her leave date she realised she couldn't find anywhere else better for cheaper, so she suddenly became as sweet as pie- offering to make me cups of tea, smiling, chatting & begged to stay. It was such a dramatic change in behaviour from angry atmosphere to friendly. It's amazing how some people can totally fake friendliness to reach a specific goal. The answer of course was no.

Ironically, months later a friend of mine knew her new landlord & I discovered he's even more unhappy with her there than I was- and her attitude is causing such a bad atmosphere in his home! Good to know at least that the problem didn't lie with me.

Comment

Lodgers aren't tenants, and it seems I may have overstated the position when multi-occupation is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwilson54 View Post
          Surely the resident home owner would have a legal right to curb such unreasonable behaviour by either asking said tenant to pay for their own bills (instead of the "all bills included" arrangement which involved the home owner paying on the basis of reasonable use), lock the thermostat to within a reasonable range & timings, insist that she doesn't leave windows wide open 24/7 during winter, or kick her out.
          Your lodgers agreement should contain something about reasonable use and what happens if the usage isn't reasonable.
          It's not implicit, so if the agreement includes utility costs, the tenant has no incentive to minimise them.
          Your agreement could even include a requirement not to have the heating on when no one is in the room.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have Inspire Landlord Thermostat which is lockable to a maximum and timings but has a boost button so as to be controllable by tenants. Doesn't stop open window syndrome etc though, especially bad if there is an openable window in the thermostat hallway.

Another good (but more expensive) system is Honeywell Evohome which allows individual control of room wireless controlled radiators to fire up boiler.(I think Hive etc can now do this too if you get the right valves etc). This is good as a tenant is likely to turn up only their own room so is not trying to heat the whole house. You lose out compared to Inspire as you cannot set maximum or limit timings.

I have a feeling the Honeywell system would pay for itself in a larger house relatively quickly.

No matter what system, if you try to limit heating then portable electric heaters will appear in rooms. These being instantaneous will tend to be used rather than wait on radiators, so skimp on heating at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
              No matter what system, if you try to limit heating then portable electric heaters will appear in rooms. These being instantaneous will tend to be used rather than wait on radiators, so skimp on heating at your own risk.
              Not if you ban them because they're a fire risk or insist the tenant/lodger pays for their own electricity use. It's time lodgers start accepting their own responsibilities instead of leeching off others. If they don't want to pay their own electricity but want to plug in electric heaters with their windows open while they're out, that means the landlord has to work extra long hours to pay for that, and worst case scenario, the owner can't pay and goes bankrupt. It isn't right.

Comment

Easier said than done

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                  Easier said than done
                  especially with all the rules increasing every year to protect lodgers and do absolutely nothing to protect landlords, who are often in a worse financial state than the lodger.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwilson54 View Post

especially with all the rules increasing every year to protect lodgers and do absolutely nothing to protect landlords, who are often in a worse financial state than the lodger.
                    I was referring to the practicality of 'banning' electric heaters.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post

I was referring to the practicality of 'banning' electric heaters.
                      So was I.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                        I have installed Horstmann timers in my HMOs. The T presses a button and the heating comes on for a set time then automatically switches off. This seems to work well and prevents the heating being on full blast 24/7 which it was before.
                        The Inspire Landlord is probably a step up as it has a boost which would function ala 'button for set time' as well as the ability to set timings/temperature for automatic turning on.

Do you get any portable heater problems where the tenant can't be bothered to take a trip to the timer button?

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
                          Do you get any portable heater problems where the tenant can't be bothered to take a trip to the timer button?
                          Just have a google home operated thermostat & that way you won't have that problem.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X