Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to HMO - Please be gentle

Hi All,

I've been a landlord for almost 15 years with a couple of residential houses in the South East.

These have always been let as complete houses (all 3 bed semis).

One of the properties that I have is an old detached property which now needs a full refurbishment, including new roof, heating, electrics, windows kitchen, bathroom etc...basically everything.

So I've started to think about converting this in to a dedicated HMO property, with 6 or 8 rooms, all with en-suites.

Newbie questions:

1. Does the kitchen need to be of a certain size?
    2. Do I need two fridges and cookers, anything else?
    3. Do I need to provide a separate living room?
    4. I think I will need mains powered fire alarm?
    5. I guess all doors should be FD?
    6. With 6-8 HMO rooms, how does one control the heating? What is the best option, combi boiler or Megaflow?

I will obviously meet with the local council and get their input but in the meantime and before the new year I'm budgeting.

So what else do I need to think about?

Thanks in advance.
    IceBoy

before you do anything, make sure there are no local regs in place that restrict any further hmo's in the area

Comment

Thanks MisterB, I will check.

Good Point!

Comment

Please could someone help a newbie out?

My local council are rubbish and keep referring me to their website, but there is no information on minimum room sizes for bedrooms (which I have found on the Web) but nothing about what I need to provide in the kitchen, two ovens etc?

What I really want is the minimum standards required for 6-8 individual rooms?

Please help.
        IceBoy

Comment

Hi All,

Newbie question again:

If I have 6-8 rooms all with en-suites how big does the kitchen need to be? Do I need to provide a separate living room?

I'm getting no help from my local council.

IceBoy

Comment

Newbies shouldn't be becoming HMO landlords.

Only your council can answer those questions. I'd expect a guidance document on their web site.

However, I can't see a living room would be required if the bedrooms were bed sitting rooms.

Obviously, an HMO with no living room is only suitable for unconnected tenants, so will need the highest level of general safety precautions, but the living room will not avoid the need for a high level of safety precaution if you do use that sort of tenant.

On the basis that the rooms do not have adequate food preparation facilities, my council would require at least two kitchens. If only two, each would require two sets of all the things normally found in kitchens. They have no requirement for communal living or dining spaces, but they might be needed if there was inadequate space in individual rooms.

Comment

Thank you 64, I'm a longer time landlord but new to HMO.

I shall keep reading up.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceboy74 View Post
                Hi All,

I'm getting no help from my local council.

IceBoy
                I would shelve the project until you get feedback from the Local Council as they are responsible for the regulation of the HMO. As a large HMO you may fall under Sui Generis planning permission rules and you would not wish to start the work until you know their attitude and requirements. Your Landlord Association representative may help you with information and contacts

You should ask yourself why you want to upgrade this property and manage it as a HMO as there will be increased management responsibilities for you. Examples are: waste disposal, cleaning (of common areas) , marketing, viewings, parking, visitors, dispute resolution over common area usage, utility bill management, gardening , laundry , internet etc. At times you can feel like a caretaker at a hostel and it is unlikely you would get an agent to run a large HMO efficiently and at a reasonable cost.

I am 63 and I sold my two 7 bedroom HMOs a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                  Newbies shouldn't be becoming HMO landlords.
                  Everyone has to start somewhere and OP is not a newbie LL in any case, just new to HMOs.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X