Regarding buying a Mattress for an existing tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding buying a Mattress for an existing tenant

I have a HMO house with four tenants, a tenant has been recently there for 6months, She has asked us to buy a Orthopadic mattress as her Doctor advised her to sleep on Orthopadic mattress due to her back pain..
    We have bought a mattress for that room just two years back. This mattress is in good condition and doesn't have issues which is a memory foam mattress.
    Do we have to buy a new mattress for her. Are we obliged to buy a new mattress for the tenants, as we have already provided one.
    Also we buy a mattress, tomorrow other tenants may ask and this tenant can demand some other thing.

Please kindly give your advice.

Thanks

If the mattress you supplied is in good condition I see no reason why you should replace it.

Even if the back pain the tenant is experiencing (which I'm assuming they aren't trying to say has been caused by your mattress) can be classed as a disability, my understanding is that you only have to make reasonable adjustments.
    In this case a reasonable adjustment would be to agree to store your own mattress elsewhere and let the tenant buy their own mattress, at their expense. When the tenant moves out they can take their mattress with them, so will continue to benefit from it.

Comment

Thanks Macromia for the kind reply.

I will kindly answer her without hearting that as we have already purchased the mattress two years back and it is in good condition, we can't buy another one and if we start buying for one person we have to keep buying for another tenants as well which is not possible. We understand the backpain issue, u are welcome to buy yours and take it with you and when u plan to move.
      Please let me know if is fine.

Comment

Hopefully, if you have told the tenant that she can buy her own mattress, you have made sure she understands that she should not throw your mattress out!
        If you can, it would be best to arrange to store this elsewhere if she does purchase her own mattress.

Comment

Thankyou. Actually there is no space anywhere in the house, so I have to arrange to keep in her room vertically, requesting her to cover the mattress.

Comment

Actually Stuart I don't think asking her to store the mattress in her room is acceptable.

Comment

I agree with Jon, if your tenant buys their own mattress, you should make arrangements to store your mattress elsewhere.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X