newbie landlord wants to know, HMO costs, are these normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiritdreams
    replied
    Dealing with agent's tradesmen is your first and primary mistake.

They usually charge double of tradesmen you hire yourself, mainly because the agent gets a cut of the costs.

I've had agent managed property before where any repair bills done by tradesmen from agent (which is deducted from rent) easily double those I get if I go direct to reputable local tradesmen.

Don't bother go direct to the tradesmen recommended by the agent, they know not to damage the relationship they have with the agent of which they would get more jobs from, it is more of a symbiotic parasitic relationship built on your property.

Built up a few trusted tradesmen yourself and call them out instead of using those from the agent, it will work out a lot better in the longer run, I myself have 1-2 gas engineers / plumbers, electrician whom I trust to take care of issues at market rates.

Leave a comment:

• Mable
    replied
    Isn't ARLA or Ombudsman the first to contact, and if no success go to sheriff/ small claims court. someone suggested launching a bankruptcy petition, which will force them to pay. whats that?

Leave a comment:

• Mable
    replied
    They are the agent's tradesmen. They took my call last time when they didn't know it was my number and l politely enquired about their costs but they no longer take my calls, messages and emails even though l am asking them to do further work in another property's flooring and bathroom, which he said would be interested in, in the only call that he answered from me, the first call. The workman said he would get back to me later that day to show me the cost breakdown of the work he did. nothing. its been a week now.
    l should of been informed of the costs no matter what no?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Did you get quotes from other tradesmen or just ask the Agent to manage it? If the latter then I'm not surprised you're paying a premium

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Painting in a HMO house
    stuart123
    Hi,
    I have a four bed HMO house let to four professionals, looking to paint the house and also plaster where required for the complete house, this will take 5 to 7 days to complete the work.
    All the tenants were fine and cooperative, except one tenant, who has changed his shift from morning...
    17-09-2019, 12:48 PM
  • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
    DPT57
    Quite possibly, but I guess leaving one bedroom to be painted at a later date may be a reasonable compromise for the moment.
    23-09-2019, 10:36 AM
    leaseholder64
    I assumed the OP was painting the rooms, as well.
    21-09-2019, 13:41 PM
    DPT57
    Assuming these are room only tenancies then they have no rights over communal areas or exterior unless you've given it to them contractually. Harassment issues aside, the tenant cant prevent you from doing the work....
    21-09-2019, 06:50 AM
  • Referencing
    Cupola
    Hi all,

Completely new landlord here, we have a 4 bed house which we have struggled to sell, so have decided to rent rooms out. We are moving out and it will be rented to 4 individuals. We have been in touch with the council and they've written back formally saying we don't need planning...
    19-09-2019, 12:35 PM
  • Reply to Referencing
    leaseholder64
    The HMO definition triggers a need to manage it in certain ways, including additional fire safety, but doesn't trigger a need for licence. Councils may have Additional Licensing, in which case you will need one for three or four people. However to absolutely require a licence, a house or converted...
    20-09-2019, 23:08 PM
  • Reply to Referencing
    Mogino
    Best to use a tenant assessment company to do all the reference checking. I would not recommend accepting any references direct from a prospective tenant.
    Referencing companies charge a modest fee per tenant, and its well worth it. I can recommend one to you if you PM me.
    You will need to...
    20-09-2019, 22:46 PM
  • Reply to Referencing
    AlexR
    As you are letting the rooms yourself you decide what is the best background checks to make for the type of tenants you wish to have in your house. If you are taking out tenant rent insurance you will need to comply with their terms but the main area that I checked were:

1. Employed - take...
    20-09-2019, 09:25 AM
  • Reply to Referencing
    Cupola
    Good morning

Thanks for your replies, I don't mean to sound rude, but DPT57 we will live very local to the property and have decided to manage it ourselves, as I've already, said, we have done extensive research into all aspects, I know how to reference, I just wanted first hand personal...
    20-09-2019, 05:24 AM
    amy131
    Plastering and painting aren't noisy jobs. I would just make sure that those doing the work are aware there may be someone sleeping so they don't put a radio on and take care when moving around any furniture etc. Provided tenants have notice of the works they should accept the communal areas need to...
    19-09-2019, 20:05 PM
Working...
X