Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAT testing cert

Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates etc, but I was of the understanding that a competent person can carry out this task, which is done yearly on all my own appliances etc and on the tenants when they move in, as often a dodgy laptop etc could trip the house.

I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is OK before letting the council know, as it seems that the list of things to do is getting longer and longer.

Thanks for any help.

I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement

Comment

The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this test, just like those who test and sell for the charity shops.

Comment

rugbyroom

Anyone who has done PAT training will have been shown how to issue a certificate - one certificate for each dwelling. This isn't the same as the sticker that might be put on the appliance. A competent person in this context is someone who has done the PAT training, and doesn't have to have NICEIC (or a similar body's) certification.

Your PAT tester will almost certainly have been issued with a pad of such certificates by the outfit who trained them (google PAT certrificate template to see what they might look like) - this is certainly the case with the training done via the NLA. Maybe he's run out of certificates? if so, it's easy to generate some more.

This is probably what the council wants to see, and what your tester should have issued you with. I'd reckon that such a person would certainly have issued certificates if doing work for a charity shop, although charity shops wouldn't be selling electrical appliances if they didn't work - which is different from electrical safety, so a second hand washing machine has to work as a washing machine should, and be safe,.

Comment

I looked up PAT training, seems to be a couple of hours online only, for £30. It is worth paying someone else to do it, or is is better to learn how to PAT test myself and issue the certificate myself? Any problems with doing it myself? How much would a PAT tester cost on a normal 4 bed?

Comment

They normally charge per item, with a call out charge in top. I’m interested that you can train for only £30. Might get one of my lads to do it! Would save me some money at the office.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to PAT testing cert
              by SouthernDave
              They normally charge per item, with a call out charge in top. I’m interested that you can train for only £30. Might get one of my lads to do it! Would save me some money at the office.
              21-06-2022, 19:02 PM
            • PAT testing cert
              by rugbyroom
              Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
              18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to PAT testing cert
              by Centric
              I looked up PAT training, seems to be a couple of hours online only, for £30. It is worth paying someone else to do it, or is is better to learn how to PAT test myself and issue the certificate myself? Any problems with doing it myself? How much would a PAT tester cost on a normal 4 bed?
              21-06-2022, 11:56 AM
            • Applying For First HMO Licence
              by ABC123
              I own a property in an area that requires additional HMO licensing. The 4-bed house has been let to a family but they are now moving out and all the responses I have had to my advert have been from groups of 4, so it looks like I am going to need to apply for a licence. I have been unable to get through...
              14-06-2022, 11:43 AM
            • Reply to Applying For First HMO Licence
              by pgten
              To protect yourself you need to have made a valid HMO licence application before/simultaneous with the tenants moving in.

So you do not need to wait for the HMO licence to be granted. Note however: if you move people in you are tying yourself to making any outstanding HMO improvements (so...
              19-06-2022, 19:53 PM
              by Neelix
              To be honest you need to clarify this with your local council in writing as they seem to have slightly differing requirements.

on the electrics the regs now recommend AFDDs for some circuits in HMOs so it’ll be a C3 IF you have RCD protection. If you don’t have RCD protection you new...
              15-06-2022, 07:20 AM
              by AlexR
              Google ' hmo fire risk assessment' and you will find companies that will do this for you. Expect to pay about £200. Try and get a company who know the requirements of your Local Authority . There is one Council ( Sandwell, West Midlands) who will , for a fee visit your HMO and advise - I don't know...
              14-06-2022, 22:03 PM
              by jpkeates
              It's something you find someone to do and pay them to do it.
              And then you do what they recommend....
              14-06-2022, 16:06 PM
              by ABC123
              Thanks very much for the info.

Who would I get to do the fire risk assessment? Would this be something arranged by the council?
              14-06-2022, 15:35 PM
              by jpkeates
              And why all those groups of 4 are applying to your property.
              Is it because no one else will rent to them?...
              14-06-2022, 14:59 PM
            Working...
            X