PAT testing cert

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PAT testing cert

    Dear Forum,

    I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

    They cant give certificates etc, but I was of the understanding that a competent person can carry out this task, which is done yearly on all my own appliances etc and on the tenants when they move in, as often a dodgy laptop etc could trip the house.

    I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is OK before letting the council know, as it seems that the list of things to do is getting longer and longer.

    Thanks for any help.

    I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement


      The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this test, just like those who test and sell for the charity shops.



        Anyone who has done PAT training will have been shown how to issue a certificate - one certificate for each dwelling. This isn't the same as the sticker that might be put on the appliance. A competent person in this context is someone who has done the PAT training, and doesn't have to have NICEIC (or a similar body's) certification.

        Your PAT tester will almost certainly have been issued with a pad of such certificates by the outfit who trained them (google PAT certrificate template to see what they might look like) - this is certainly the case with the training done via the NLA. Maybe he's run out of certificates? if so, it's easy to generate some more.

        This is probably what the council wants to see, and what your tester should have issued you with. I'd reckon that such a person would certainly have issued certificates if doing work for a charity shop, although charity shops wouldn't be selling electrical appliances if they didn't work - which is different from electrical safety, so a second hand washing machine has to work as a washing machine should, and be safe,.


          I looked up PAT training, seems to be a couple of hours online only, for £30. It is worth paying someone else to do it, or is is better to learn how to PAT test myself and issue the certificate myself? Any problems with doing it myself? How much would a PAT tester cost on a normal 4 bed?


            They normally charge per item, with a call out charge in top. I’m interested that you can train for only £30. Might get one of my lads to do it! Would save me some money at the office.


            Latest Activity


            • Trailing ethernet cable
              by grigoreureche

              I am renting a room at the first floor of an HMO. The house has a wi-fi router at the ground floor. Desiring faster Internet, I ran an ethernet cable from the router to my room, securing it with clips (so as not to damage the walls). This has been going on for ~2 years. Today I received...
              15-07-2022, 15:32 PM
            • Reply to Trailing ethernet cable
              by bob369
              No one should go trailing any cables along walls through any HMO escape route, without due regard to relevant Fire and Electrical Regulations.

              The tenant during their induction and fire training should have been instructed on the importance of the 'Escape Route', and how to use it.
              08-08-2022, 17:31 PM
            • Reply to Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
              by bob369
              they don't blame the landord. Instead they take action directly against the offender.

              Which sounds very sensible, I have heard that in Switzerland they are far less tolerant also.

              Around this area it seems many landlords rarely visit their property, or either reside outside...
              08-08-2022, 17:10 PM
            • Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
              by bob369
              Is there any way to deal with tenants that deliberately refuse to recycle, does any Legislation or possible Council Byelaw cover this ?

              I understand that under the HMO regulations (sorry not sure which one, presume it is The Management of ... 2006, 9. Duty to provide waste disposal facilities)...
              23-03-2022, 10:14 AM
            • Reply to Landlord does not allow the use of a fan.
              by bob369
              There is plenty of regulation - it's inspection and enforcement that is needed.


              Shoddy and shady landlords seem to somehow evade justice, whilst compliant landlords cope with the burdensome regulations imposed.

              Has some of this regulation arisen and been...
              08-08-2022, 16:51 PM
            • Landlord does not allow the use of a fan.
              by SAGA
              Good Afternoon ,

              I rents an attic room in the HMO house.
              I have a verbal contract which has been in force for several years.

              After the first heat wave, when I felt terrible and could not function normally, I decided to buy "White Silver-E 9L Evaporative Portable...
              14-07-2022, 11:04 AM
            • Reply to Tenant refusing to Recycle and - Management Regulations 2006
              by Flashback1966
              Germans (on the whole) tend to work as a homogenius group, they take responsibility for the rubbish they produce, and sort accordingly, (and authorities enforce ! where necessary)

              In Germany, if an occupant is causing anti-social problems, they don't blame the landord. Instead they take...
              05-08-2022, 20:44 PM
            • Reply to Help understanding HMO licensing in Reading
              by Flashback1966
              I did some further research and Reading Council’s website states that any property with 3+ tenants requires an HMO license, but I had a read through their guide to licensing and it has no mention of an additional licensing scheme.

              You are quite correct. At the moment, it does not need ...
              05-08-2022, 20:32 PM
            • Help understanding HMO licensing in Reading
              by oscarvl

              I am trying to find a new tenancy in Reading along with my two housemates. We are professional sharers with a combined income of £125k+, a good rental history, good references, no credit black marks, in principle we should not have any problems renting, but are struggling to rent anywhere...
              09-07-2022, 15:46 PM
            • Reply to Council tax reduction
              by AlexR
              Local Councils follow rules, laws etc and I guess you will need to de-register your house as a HMO before they will consider it as such. There will be some way to do this probably only known by an official in the council. I always took note of the Council people who ran or attended the landlords meetings...
              05-08-2022, 18:35 PM